Chapter 1: The First Way of Surviving

Through my experience, there are three ways to survive in this wretched world.

The first and most effective for myself is through dissociation and autopilot.

My name is Y/n and as an accountant living in Seoul, my life is very monotonous. Plus on top of that, the work culture is so terrible that I practically had no free time outside of work. Day in and day out of the office was how I lived.

My life was nothing out of the ordinary. I was raised by a caring mother and father who wanted nothing from me but to succeed. I was put under high pressure to do well in school and received punishment when my performance dropped.

I wanted nothing more than to be loved and accepted, so whatever made my parents pleased, made me happy. I studied hard and trained my mind to get through the hardships of the repetitive school days. Get up, eat, go to school, practice fencing, study, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

I graduated high school at the top of my class, but I wasn't happy or proud of my accomplishment. It was expected of me from my parents. I continued my education in college, where I was studying to be a reconstructive plastic surgeon. I hated what I was doing every step of the way and eventually I reached a complete burnout.

My mind completely shut down and I just couldn't do it anymore. Even going on autopilot didn't work. I was miserable and alone. My parents couldn't accept my choice to learn accounting over becoming a surgeon, even though it was still a very respectable job...

Bang!

My eyes drift up to meet my boss staring down at me with a handful of papers. "Y/N! I expect these documents to be completed by the end of today! There will be no exceptions to this request!"

My gaze meets the clock. It's already 4pm. I guess this will be getting done after company hours. I sigh and put my head down to grind out some work. I plug in my headphones and start this new assignment with diligence. My mind drifting off further and further from the real world.

...

By the time I looked up at the clock again, my assignment was complete and it was earlier than I had expected. 6:30. I still had time to catch the subway back home if I hurried. I quickly pack my belongings and scurry out of the office.

I arrived promptly at the subway station. I check my watch. 6:43. It looks like I made it there just in time, the last subway car leaves at 6:45. I quietly board and take my seat next to a beautiful woman with bright eyes.

I close my eyes, wishing to be far far away from this place. Somewhere warm and peaceful with a beautiful view of the mountains.

I couldn't fully immerse myself into my personal corner, before I heard the woman next to me talking to a friend of hers.

"The life of a dokja...?" After pausing for a moment to think, the woman excitedly imputed, "Then I will live a Sang-ah life!"

I saw her friend give her a confused look, but Sang-ah had already turned away with a face full of determination. The man gave a slight frown before burying his face in his smartphone.

I turned away and closed my eyes again, hoping to return to my own space.

Not a second later, from behind my eyes, I could see that the entire train car had been plunged into darkness. I snap my eyes open, looking around for an answer, but before I could the subway sharply breaks, lurching everyone forwards.

Screeeeee-!

A quick scream could be heard from beside me. I turn my head to see Sang-ah gripping onto her friend for dear life. The train came to an abrupt stop and several people pulled out their flashlights and started searching around to see what the cause of the issue was.

I was pulled out of my autopilot and my mind suddenly started freaking out. This isn't supposed to be happening. I have a really bad feeling about this. What's going on? This isn't just a normal stop.

Tsu-chuchuchu...!

[The free service of planetary system 6812 has been terminated.]

[The main scenario has started.]

A small white creature with horns appeared in the subway train, floating above us with a sinister smirk adorning his face.

"...Dokkaebi?" I heard the woman whisper by my side.

I couldn't believe the sight before my eyes. What in the world is going on...?

Many other people on the train made comments to this situation as well. "Augmented reality?" "Is this a publicity stunt?" "Wow, technology is developing very quickly, look how real it looks!"

A gut feeling told me that now was not the time to be joking around or chattering about the unexpected creature. I needed to think of a way to escape. I did not like the evil plotting I saw behind the eyes of that dokkaebi.

I heard the dokkaebi finally speak.

[Haha, you are really loud. I told you to be quiet]

That was when I saw blood flying through the air. A few people collapsed from around me, with giant holes in their foreheads. My eyes snapped up to the dokkaebi, fully alert to what he was saying.

[How long can you continue living for free? If you want to enjoy happiness, it is common sense to pay a price. Isn't that right?]

I scoff to myself. Enjoying happiness? As if. Everyone here is put under continuous stress to perform like dancing monkeys. We are already paying a price. But perhaps this price was self-inflicted.

[#BI-7623 channel is open.]

[The constellations have entered]

[The main scenario has arrived!]

+

[Main scenario #1- Proof of value]

Category: Main

Difficulty: F

Clear Conditions: Kill one or more living creatures.

Time Limit: 30 minutes

Compensation: 300 coins

Failure: Death

+

[Then good luck everyone! Please show me an interesting story.]

I let out a puff of anxiety ridden air, wiping the sweat from my face, before getting prepared for the events that will unfold next.