P7: The Others

After trying on everything and ringing up, we head back to the house. I'm not close to trusting Darren after the light-hearted day we had at the mall, but I can't say it caused me to grow comfortable with him. We didn't talk about personal things, just mostly made fun of Cami's suspicion of him. He'd bought lunch before we called it a day.

How long will it be like this? Me wearing a blindfold every time I leave. Or how long am I able to stay here? When we get back, Mel is nowhere in sight. Darren gives me a sheepish smile and takes my bags up to my room.

"There should be some empty drawers you can put you things in." He rubs the back of his neck.

"Thank you." I murmur softly.

"Don't worry about Mel. She's just...she's dealing with a lot."

And you? I want to ask. Why are you always flipping the script on me? Instead, I nod my head.

He walks back to the door. "So, uh...I'll leave you to it."

The door softly clicks after his departure. I sit on the bed and look around me. Bags crunch as they move. Alone in a bedroom.

This is starting to look very familiar.

***

3 weeks.

21 days.

504 hours.

30,240 minutes.

1,814,400 seconds.

I'm debating murder.

I've been reassured that I'm not a prisoner, but the way they've been treating me, I might as well be. I should right at home being kept in my room all the time, but I'm not. I've tasted freedom and I refuse to go back. I've had enough! This isn't how I want to live my life and it's definitely not going to keep going like this.

Taking a deep breath, I go downstairs where Mel laughs at something. Darren chuckles softly, but it's enough for me to grow bitter. They get to resume normal lives while I get to play princess locked in a tower. They both sit in the living room, watching the TV. The window is open, letting the sun pool in. My confident stride doesn't stop until I'm in the living room along with them.

The amusement drops as both of them look at me. I force my chin to stay raise as I take a seat in the empty arm chair beside them. Their eyes still gaze over at me. I'm not sure of what they're watching, but I pretend like it's the most interesting thing in the world. Darren clears his throat.

"Uh, hey, Autumn?"

"Hi." I don't look in his direction.

"Did you need something?" He presses.

"Nope. Just wanted to watch TV."

My heart thuds loudly in my ears, but I continue to pretend to be calm about the situation.

"We can hook a TV up in your room." He offers.

I cut my eyes at him. "I'm fine down here."

"It wouldn't be much of a problem."

"I'm good."

"What my brother is so cowardly trying to say is, you should stay in your room. We allow you to come down for meals, but it's better if things were an out of sight and out of mind kind of thing."

"Mel!" Darren snaps.

I clench my jaw and stand to my feet. It must've seem like I relenting, but I'm far from it.

"What is your problem with me?" I growl. "I offered to leave, yet you both insisted I stay only to lock me away like my father did!"

Melody stands to her feet. "That's not my issue. I'm here to help with your daddy issues. We all have problems with our parents. Yours isn't special."