Chapter Two: Rebels and Dead Men

As the aftermath of the Battle of Lyre Pass settles, news of the Grimstone's great defeat has yet to reach the capital.

"...Mmmm...yes....that is so good..."

Moaning and grunting, King Elias of House Ebonhelm, Lord of Grimstone and Stienna Isle, Keeper of Obsidian, indulges in his feast. Once revered as a handsome knight with the strength of a hundred men, he has now relegated himself to being a second-rate king, barely noble enough to carry his name. Known as King Elias "The Bloated" of House Ebonhelm, Lord of Lofty Plates and The Kitchen Sink, he indulges in his gluttony, oblivious to the murmurs of dissent that echo in the shadows. The tables groan under the weight of his extravagant dishes, while the corpulent king savors every bite.

The click-clack of heels echoes down the stone corridor. Lady Elara, advisor to the King and Lady of Stormwatch Cove, marches with purpose. The house guard opens the doors to the throne room, a grand chamber of black stone and iron.

Following Lady Elara is Lord Orlin of House Darak, the Steward to the King. Known as Orlin the Dark Steward, he encourages the king's excesses, counseling him in wickedness.

As they enter the throne room, Elara's face remains composed, her eyes briefly meeting Orlin's with a hint of a knowing look. Lady Elara speaks first, her voice smooth and controlled. "My king, I have received word from one of my bannermen at Lyre," she says, her eyes flicking briefly to Orlin.

"We need to get more Azharan cooks in our kitchens. You must try this! It is DIVINE!" King Elias exclaims, barely acknowledging her words.

"Your Majesty..." Lord Orlin says softly. "We must address this situation, your highness..."

"CAN IT NOT WAIT?! I AM IN NO MOOD TO HAVE MY HAPPINESS SULLIED BY MATTERS OF WAR!" King Elias snaps.

Lady Elara's smile tightens, but she remains composed. "We can come back once your feast is complete," she suggests, her tone dripping with forced patience.

The king waves them away, already lost in his next bite. Elara and Orlin exit the throne room, their expressions neutral but with a subtle tension.

In the dimly lit corridor, Elara leans in close to Orlin. "The king grows more content by the day," she murmurs. "His appetite knows no bounds. Barely a king, a food critic maybe...but no king."

Orlin nods, his eyes calculating. "Indeed. We must ensure the court remains stable. The king's indulgence is a...manageable situation."

They walk briskly to a council chamber, where a few other advisors await. Orlin steps forward, addressing the room. "We have received word from Lyre Pass. The battle did not favor us. Unfortunately, we lost Prince Einar in the struggle..."

Murmurs spread through the room. Elara raises her hand, silencing them. "We must remain united and strong. The king has entrusted us with the kingdom's welfare. We will see to it that order is maintained."

Lord Levi of House Solster, a minor house under the Ebonhelm banners, speaks up, "With the young prince gone, the heirship falls to Elijah..."

Looks are exchanged among the minor lords in the room. Murmurs grow louder. Elijah, known as "the second prince," was a tortured child—a product of adultery, legitimized by King Elias after the death of the Queen. He is a strong leader with noble intentions, but not favored by nobles because of his birth, his quietness, and his exclusion from courtly duties. The third prince, Everett of House Ebonhelm, is seen as a more suitable choice. Once a squire for his older brother Einar, Everett has been learning from court since day one. However, he is not yet of age, being only 13 years old.

"We must keep our wits about us when discussing this. The king has yet to hear of his son's death nor has he decided on a new heir. He may still look to Everett as his heir due to legitimacy purposes," Lord Orlin states.