Chapter 12

Susan's faith in men had been completely shattered. She couldn't let go of her past. Despite receiving good marriage proposals, she declined them all. Her parents made relentless efforts for her to agree, but eventually gave in to Susan's stubbornness.

They couldn't bear to see their daughter in such a state, yet felt powerless. Inside the darkness, Susan was consumed by grief. Isaiah's indifference had thrown her life into disarray. She continued to suffer in that darkness. Her life had become so bleak that she saw nothing but death ahead.

___________________________________________

After Susan finished sharing her story, she closed her eyes. Evelyn gently placed her hand on Susan's forehead. At that moment, a voice echoed over the intercom, 'Doctor Evelyn is urgently needed in the emergency room.'

Upon hearing this, Evelyn rose from her chair and said to Susan, "Alright, I am going. There might be an emergency." With those words, she hurried off to the emergency room.

Later that evening, having completed her duties, Evelyn returned to Susan's room and began asking about her well-being. During their conversation, seizing the opportunity, Evelyn said to Susan, "From today onwards, leave the past behind and focus on your future. Not all men in this world are the same. There are noble and exceptional individuals who derive happiness from the joy of others, even at personal cost. They are willing to sacrifice themselves to preserve someone else's happiness. Try to move beyond Isaiah's cruelty and build a new world for yourself. Despite enduring significant hardships in life, it is still possible to thrive. All it takes is decisive action and a touch of courage."

"No, Evelyn, it is true that after seeing Isaiah's true face, my faith in men has been shattered but memories aren't easily forgotten, despite my efforts. That is why I made it clear to my parents that I won't marry. My refusal deeply shocked them, and they couldn't bear the pain-they passed away," Susan said, her voice filled with heartbreaking sorrow.

"What? Your parents passed away?" Evelyn asked Susan, looking at her with a bewildered expression.

"Yes, they both left me alone in this world" Susan said.

"Please stop, Susan. Your painful story, I can't handle it anymore. It is too much for me" Evelyn said.

Instead of comforting Susan, Evelyn found herself crying over her misfortunes.

'How had she managed to endure the endless days of separation, sorrow, and loss? How profoundly lonely Susan had become-an orphan, vulnerable and powerless individual. Without a single sympathizer or companion, how had she survived those terrible years, marked only by her isolation?' Evelyn thought.

Regaining her composure, Evelyn asked Susan, "Who brought you here?"

"My distant uncle did. I have entrusted him with the responsibility of my father's business. Seeing my condition, he moved me to this hospital." Susan replied.

To divert Susan's attention from her past, Evelyn said, "You need to recover quickly so you can manage your business yourself. It is not wise to leave your business in someone else's hands these days. Who knows what could happen?"

Susan began, "That is fine, but..." and then hesitated.

Evelyn prompted, "But what?"

Susan replied, "Alright, doctor, help me get well soon so I can follow your advice."

They both laughed, and Susan's laughter reassured Evelyn. She spoke earnestly to Susan, "Never feel alone in this world. You will always find me by your side, every moment, every step of the way."

Evelyn was not just a doctor, she was Susan's friend and sister-like figure. Taking care of Susan had now become her duty, and she prioritised Susan's recovery above all else.

As Evelyn listened to Susan's story, she lost track of time. When she glanced at the clock, it was already 10 PM. She called for the nurse to stay with Susan and prepared to leave, advising Susan to get some rest. Susan wanted Evelyn to stay a bit longer since it had been a long time since she had someone close to talk to openly. However, Evelyn gently insisted that she rest, and Susan reluctantly agreed to let her go.

The following evening was pleasantly crisp. Concerned by Susan's unease, Evelyn asked the nurse to take her to the garden to soothe her heart. The mild and pleasant weather revived Susan's face, which had been worn down by her ailments. However, the outdoor chill made Susan feel cold and lightheaded. Seeing Susan's condition, the nurse swiftly returned her to room 17, where her trembling body revealed her vulnerability. Evelyn became increasingly anxious, yet she concealed her concern from Susan.

"Susan, you seem worn out. Take some rest," Evelyn said.

Susan had laid down on the bed, and there, lost in memories of Isaiah, she found solace. The room started to feel constricting to her, she had long felt as if she had ceased to live for herself. Some breaths that remained were kept alive to preserve memories of her futile struggles. Time heals even the deepest wounds, but Susan's heart was hurt so deeply that the wound had turned into a scar. If anything was needed, it was love from Isaiah.

"Evelyn," Susan called.

"Yes, Susan," Evelyn replied.

"Please turn off the lights," Susan said.

"Why?" Evelyn inquired.

"Let me stay in the dark for a while," Susan replied.

"I understand, Susan. You have endured so much in life that you have grown accustomed to darkness. But it is better to let the past rest, or it's wounds will linger as scars," Evelyn tried to explain.

"No, Evelyn, listen to me today. Turn off the lights," Susan's eyes welled with unshed tears.

Evelyn turned off the lights in Susan's room and stepped out into the corridor, which was strangely quiet and empty. The hospital had four floors with wards and rooms on each side of the wide hallway. Susan was admitted on the first floor.

As Evelyn walked down the corridor, she couldn't stop worrying about Susan. 'When would she find peace from all these troubles? Would her days always be filled with sadness?' Evelyn wondered, unsure where to find the answers. Lost in her thoughts, her heart felt heavy.