♡⁠(⁠Ӧ⁠v⁠Ӧ⁠。⁠)

I was just sitting in my bedroom, trying to unwind after a long day, when my phone buzzed with a notification. The soft glow of the screen cut through the dim light of my room, catching my attention.

Josh: “Hey Lizz! Josh here. I need to meet you urgently.”

This wasn't the first time he had contacted me with an air of mystery and urgency. Each message from him brought a flood of memories and a pang of unresolved emotions.

Me: “Don't stalk me, Josh. I don’t know who you are anymore. There's no relationship between us now. Everything broke when you left me alone. So just stay away from me.”

I typed the words with trembling fingers, my eyes filling with tears. My heart ached with the weight of our past, but I couldn't let him see how much he still affected me. Despite my resolve, a part of me needed closure. Before I could second-guess myself, I sent another message.

Me: “Okay, tell me where I have to come, but this is the last time.”

His reply was swift, almost as if he had been waiting, phone in hand.

Josh: “Parking Area.”

I stared at his response, my mind racing. Why the parking area? What could be so important that he needed to see me there, of all places? The thought of confronting him again made my stomach churn, but curiosity and a desire for closure overpowered my hesitation. I grabbed my jacket and headed out, bracing myself for whatever awaited in the shadows of the parking lot.

As I made my way down the stairs and out of the front door, the cool night air hit my face, offering a brief respite from the storm of emotions inside me. The street was quiet, the only sound coming from my footsteps echoing in the stillness. The parking area was just a few blocks away, but each step felt heavier than the last.

When I arrived, the parking lot was dimly lit, with only a few cars scattered around. I glanced around, looking for Josh. My heart pounded in my chest as I spotted him leaning against his car, his silhouette illuminated by the faint glow of a nearby streetlamp.

He looked up as I approached, his eyes locking onto mine. There was a mixture of relief and guilt in his expression, a look I had seen too many times before.

"Josh," I called out, trying to keep my voice steady. "What’s this about? Why did you need to see me?"

He straightened up, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Lizz, thank you for coming. I know I don’t deserve this, but I needed to talk to you in person. There’s something you need to know."

I folded my arms, trying to shield myself from both the cold and the vulnerability I felt. "You’ve said that before, Josh. What could possibly be so urgent now?"

He nodded, looking more serious than I had ever seen him. "I promise, Lizz. No more lies. Let's get out of here first. It's not safe. There's a diner nearby where we can talk. I'll explain everything there."

Reluctantly, I agreed, feeling a mix of dread and curiosity about what I was about to uncover. We walked to his car, and as he opened the door for me, I couldn’t shake the feeling that this was just the beginning of a much darker journey.

As we drove through the quiet hotel, an uneasy silence settled between us. My mind raced with a thousand questions, but I couldn't bring myself to voice any of them. Josh's face was set in a grim expression, his knuckles white as he gripped the steering wheel.

After a few minutes, he finally broke the silence. "Lizz, there's something I need to show you. It’s about your Ethan."

My heart skipped a beat. "What about him?"