Shadow of Obsession - Part Seven

Your lungs burn and your heart pounds in your chest. Gritting your teeth and digging deep, you urge yourself to run faster. Hair flies in your face but you don't have the time to push it away. All you can focus on is the man right in front of you, trying to outrun you. His grey suit jacket blows in the wind and you wonder how he can be so fast. You had chased dozens of suspects before, but none as fast as he is.

And instead of running faster, it seems like your body only slows down. Your hand reaches out to grab the edge of his jacket but it slips right through your fingers. The man then runs off into the darkness, but you hear his voice. It's like he's shouting down from the sky. His voice is everywhere and all around you. He's taunting you, inviting you to come with him. But you know that if you do, you'll never be seen alive again.

Gasping for breath you turn around in circles, eyes wide, trying to find where the man is. It sounds like he's so close but you can't see him. No, it's too dark outside. Your chest burns from exhaustion and anxiety and you reach for your gun. But it isn't there. You're out in the dark with this man with nothing to defend yourself.

Hot tears burn in the corner of your eyes and stream down your face. This isn't how you thought it would all end. You had hoped that you would've been able to live a long and happy life. But it seems your final moments are filled with nothing except for fear and despair.

While you continue to spin around in search of the man, you see a light off in the distance. You know you have to take the chance it's someone who can help you and so you take off running towards the light.

But when you get closer, you see that it's your apartment window. The window is open and the curtains billow in the breeze. Seeing no other way forward, you climb through the window. And suddenly the darkness is gone.

The lamp in the corner is turned on and music softly plays throughout the space; for a second you're relieved. But your lungs still burn, you can still hear his voice. You're not even safe in your own home. It doesn't take long before the music slows and becomes distorted, the window slams itself shut, and the light dims. The walls feel like they're closing in on you.

And then the man appears with a wide grin on his face, one hand outstretched towards you. How did he get into your apartment? What does he want with you? Somehow you can't bring yourself to ask anything, instead you're frozen in fear while tears stream down your cheeks faster and faster.

"Don't be afraid, I've been waiting so long for you." He says and takes one last step to close the distance between the two of you.

And at the same time his hand touches your skin, everything disappears.

In an instant, you see Spencer's face inches from yours, a soft light behind him. You feel hot, your skin feels slick with sweat. Something is holding you down.

"Are you okay?" Spencer asks, his eyes wide and worried. You take a few deep breaths and look around.

You're not in your apartment, it's not even dark outside anymore. Spencer is standing beside the bed with his hands on your shoulders. With one last gasp of air, you realize that your unconscious mind was just playing cruel tricks on you.

"I'm, I'm okay I think." You answer Spencer, your throat dry and scratchy. He lets go of your shoulders and sits beside you, resting his hand atop your leg over the covers.

And as you come back to reality, you become aware that you're in Spencer's bed, his blankets bunched around your waist, his scent on the pillowcase. Your rub your eyes and feel wetness on your cheeks. Spencer watches you quietly while you adjust.

The job has always given you night terrors, but none as invasive as what you just experienced. Usually when you wake from one, you're able to adjust to reality quickly, and you know that what you experienced was a figment of terrifying imagination. But this one felt real, it feels like it's taken root inside of your brain.