Chapter Twelve: The Inverted Tower

Walking on my way back home, I was a mess, head swirling with thoughts, trying to dissect what happened at Euna's place. The same questions kept battering at my skull, swirling on and on, why didn't I protest back there? Why did I let this happen to me? And, most importantly, why do I feel so disgusted at myself?

    My mind a tangled tape, replaying past encounters with Euna as if they were a film reel, trying to spot any hints I might've missed. Turns out, all the red flags were hoisted high up in front of me, that time Euna tried to offend Rajesh's bride before she grinded on me in front of everybody at the wedding. Or back on our first date when she seduced me by touching me out of nowhere. Or the fact that she took real pleasure from debasing me. I could tell it was different from the average amicable banter. Missing all of that was on me. I was the one who chose to ignore the glaring sirens. I earned that shame. The price for being a dipstick, I suppose.

    There'd been two ways to go about this, I could've wallowed in my shame. I could've whined and complaind to my heart's desire, drowned in this pool of self-hatred that I often found myself frequenting. Or I could've take initiative for once and done something, maybe sever ties with Euna and retreat while we were still in the start of this noxious relationship, if you could even call it that. I needed to be alone to process this overwhelming cacophony of emotions whirling inside my chest.

    Lost in my own mind, I failed to notice the soft pattering of rain pursued by the downpour that came after. My hands dug into my pockets and my shoulders slumped from the sudden cold that cut through me. I cursed under my smoky breath. Teeth clenched together. Whimpers escaped my mouth. Shudders coursed through my body.

    And a red light shone from across the street.

    I swung and saw the same identical entrance to Sorrell's shop.

    Odd. That was a completely different street in a entirely different area from the first time I spotted this place. Huh, I thought to myself, Another branch? Interesting. I suppose. Legs steered me out of their own accord towards the entrance. Another coincidence. Hands pushed the door without my consent. Yes that must be it. A coincidence.

    Bells rung. Doors shut. And the same interior sprawled in front of me. The jars. The bookes and the tomes. The desk. The red light. All in their same places and in the same arrangement, as if untouched neither by time nor being. One thing stood out though, a flipped card sitting at the middle of the desk by the far end of the shop. I tiptoed towards it. "Uhm, hello?"

    No one answered me.

    I stood by the desk, rested my hands next to the card and leaned. A profound sense of desolation took over me. I wasn't sure if the lump in my throat was a result of me about to weep, or if it was simply there because of the cold.

    "I was expecting you." A soothing voice, Sorrell's own. I watched her emerge from the darkness veiling the backroom. I could spot her visible concern. Was I that obvious? "Would you like another card reading?" She softly asked, edging closer to the other side of the desk.

    "Please," I said quietly, slowly sinking into the chair.

    Sorrell sat down on opposite side. Eyes locked with my own, filled with compassion and genuine sympathy. How could she read through me? I must've been very obvious indeed. A faint smile drew on her face as she slowly flipped the card, never breaking eye contact. I look down and see the picture of a black tower soaring through dark skies, piercing clouds and cutting thunder, its windows dimmed and its peak faded. "The tower. Inverted." She sighed in relief. "No voices will take over me this time it seems." She smiled. "You can leave now if you wish. Or I can explain the reading to you."