I. The First Arrival (First Year)

Hannah's eyes shot open at the piercing sound of her alarm clock. She was dressed in comfortable pajamas, smiling as she looked around her bedroom. Today was the last day she would be here for quite a while. As Hannah crawled out of bed her dark gray cat, Stormy, greeted her. Hannah stopped for a moment to pet him, mumbling a soft apology to him, knowing she was going to have to put him inside of a cat carrier later. Hannah put her glasses and walked over to her already opened trunk, she and her parents had prepared almost everything the night before but she wanted to double check anyways. Hannah checked through each one of her robes and her books, and most importantly she had her wand. Hannah's wand was 10 3/4" and quite bendy, it was a dark brown and made of ash wood. Hannah decided to throw on a black t-shirt with David Bowie on it and a darkly washed pair of denim jeans. Hannah was entirely convinced that he was a wizard, even if she couldn't inherently prove it. She pulled her long black hair into a ponytail and put in little earrings that looked like broomsticks. She chuckled to herself slightly, she always thought it was a cute touch to show she was a witch that Muggles would never question.

After sliding on some black and white shoes, Hannah decided to head downstairs. Hannah was greeted with the delightful smell of blueberry pancakes. Her mother and father, Cyrus Burke and Sophia Burke, were already in the kitchen waiting for her.  Cyrus Burke worked at the Ministry and Sophia was a stay at home mother. As Hannah walked into the dining room, she heard the two having a friendly debate about something.

"I mean, have you seen the way she is when she has a book in her hand she just HAS to be!" Sophia Burke said, gesturing to Hannah as she walked into the room.

"Surely you don't think that will trump the fact that the Burke family have been Slytherin for centuries, Soph. I see quite a bit of herself in me, you know." Cyrus shot back playfully to his wife. Cyrus was in Slytherin house, while Sophia was in Hufflepuff house while they spent their time at Hogwarts. 

"Come on, Cy, she has Ravenclaw written all over her!" She said, flipping a pancake as she continued to say her side. Hannah sat and smiled at them, she always enjoyed their banter. Her father, who was standing at the counter in the kitchen turned towards her.

"So Hannah, any idea of where you'll be placed?" Cyrus asked her, wanting her input. Hannah just shrugged. She wasn't really sure where she was going to be placed herself. She saw a bit of every house within herself. Since she didn't really properly respond, the topic slowly shifted to the first time her parents met. They met in their first year in Professor Slughorn's potions class. Hannah sat and listened eagerly, she'd always wondered if she would meet her future lover at Hogwarts. Her mother handed her a small stack of blueberry pancakes and Hannah thanked her.

After packing up Stormy into his cat carrier, the Burke family put Hannah's trunk and all of her other items into their car. The family would have gone by Floo Powder, but they decided that going this way would give Hannah a chance to see her little community of Spinner's End. The drive from Cokeworth to London would be around three hours. Hannah looked out her windows and saw the numerous alleyways and crossing streets, it was a quaint place, but it was certainly home. The place that they stayed had been Hannah's maternal grandparents before they passed away. When they reached the end of a set of terraced houses, Hannah's father pointed to the one on the end. She didn't see him leave his home very often but when she did, she noted his sullen face and solemn demeanor. He did not look like a man that should be trifled with under any circumstances. 

"That there is Professor Snape's house, he will be your potions professor this year. Me and your mother went to school with him. He is also the Head of Slytherin House if I recall correctly." He said. Her father always mentioned his house whenever the rare occasion was that they drove out. She had seen the man before, Hannah had always found the man rather curious. When she used to play outside as a child, she always felt like the man was studying her, as if I looked like somebody he once knew. Hannah noticed  that her parents didn't really speak about them like they knew him very well. She figured that they must not have been very good friends while they were in school. If Hannah knew that if she was placed in Slytherin then she would certainly be seeing a lot more of him. Hannah sat back and silently listened as her parents reminisced about their time at Hogwarts and how much fun it was for them. Eventually the topic shifted to a slightly darker tone. They talked about James and Lily Potter, Hannah's parents were very closely to them before their untimely death caused by You-Know-Who.