To the Death

October 23, 2079

Ustrington

Loïc SAEZ

For the French Republic,

 Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

 I am more than aware that I am risking my life to write you this letter. Please read it. Save as many people as you can.

Two more days and I will finally be able to leave this territory. Two more days and I'll finally be free. Two more days and I won't have to fear the ultimate punishment.

 How did we Ustringtonians go from the most respectful and safe country to the worst? To the only one with the ultimate penalty? To this prison from which there is no escape? Yet in two days I'm going to do it. I'm going to leave this cage and join humanity, liberty, equality and fraternity. Goodbye ambient terror, hello life. Goodbye Ustrington and hello France. Hello to your loving, caring, free and fraternal nation.

 I'm more than aware that I belong to the most affluent category of society. I have a studio apartment that I don't have to share. Of course there's no electricity or running water, but that's how it is for everyone except Richbur, our president. Believe me, it costs me dearly to say president when the notions of freedom, rights, property, fraternity and equality have all disappeared since he came to power. Richbur, that six-foot-tall man with the graying hair, has destroyed my country, Ustrington. Since he killed Weclorn, our former head of state, two months ago, everything has changed.All wages have stopped being paid, all property has been confiscated... Stores no longer exist, people can't do anything.It's impossible to find other people.Speech is forbidden. Writing is forbidden.If my letter were ever found, I would suffer the ultimate penalty, I would be executed.But I won't be silent.Someone has to speak.And I can do it thanks to my situation.

 I used to be a basic military man.Now I'm part of the presidential guard.Believe me, I don't like it at all.

However, I'm not going to change that. Firstly, even if I wanted to, I couldn't - I'd risk being executed. Secondly, I have a special situation. Thirdly, I'm leaving in two days for your state. I hope you'll take me in and not send me back to this place.

Second, I have a special situation. Thirdly, I'll be fleeing to your state in two days' time. I hope you will welcome me and not send me back to this place without a future, where we are constantly threatened by the death penalty.

 Are you, dear French citizens, even aware of the situation here? Do you know that no one goes out for fear of being kidnapped by the Richbur government? That the people are so thin and colorless as to be frightening?

Empty stares, filled with terror and despair?That the only survivors are people in their thirties?That there are no children or elderly people left?That only videos of people being tortured and Richbur are shown non-stop on every screen, and it's impossible to stop them or turn them off?

 The day after tomorrow, dear French citizens, I'll join you.I want to fight this last battle to get my life back.I have no idea what my future holds.It's more likely that I won't make it to your country, synonymous with liberty, equality and fraternity, than that I will.

 I honestly have no idea what life is like in France. I see you more as a happy nation, where there's work, food and shelter. When I think of France, I think of peace and smiles. You've been the only nation at peace for thirty years. How do you do it? Dear France, what's your secret?

Please save me and my poor fellow citizens. This is no longer a life we lead.It's about survival, and yet...If I didn't fear the repercussions, I would have ended my life long ago, believe me.

You can't imagine the horror all around you.Imagine the image of a child having his hair pulled out, burned, cut and so on...Imagine this happening all the time on the screen in front of your bed, your table, your carpet, your toilet...

 Dear France, I will fight to the death to reach you. Not so much for myself as for my suffering fellow citizens.

 Dear France, see you soon.

 I will fight to the death to reach you and regain my life.

Loïc SAEZ