chapter 65

Saturday, 14 April 1979

"How'd it go?" Remus said as Lena waltzed into his room.

He already knew based on the smile on her face.

"I passed!" Lena squealed.

"I knew you would," Remus congratulated her and pulled her in for a hug and a kiss.

"That's what you said the first time I took the Apparition test."

"It's a hard exam," Remus said, moving them to sit on the bed.

"You passed on the first time," Lena commented.

"I was just lucky."

Lena rolled her eyes.

"You're about to get lucky now."

"Hey, if you insist," Remus smiled before kissing her as he pulled her on top of him.

Lena moved her lips to Remus' jawline as he slid his right hand to her hips and tangled his left one in her brown hair. He slid his hand under her shirt. He stopped as he fingers grazed something that was unfamiliar to him on her skin.

He unwinded his hand from her hair and moved it down her back. Remus gently rocked them so that now Lena was lying flat on her back with Remus straddling her. Remus lifted his spine, causing Lena's mouth to detach from his neck. Lena's brow furrowed in confusion.

Remus pushed her shirt up just below her bra.

He looked up from her bandage-wrapped torso and into her eyes. "Lena, what happened?"

Lena lifted her back up. The couple now sat chest to chest.

"I'm okay. I promise."

"Lena."

She let out a sigh. "Don't get mad."

"I'm not mad. I'm just worried. You came home injured," Remus replied, holding her hands in his.

"My friend, uh Layla, and I– we overheard Crouch and Nott talking. They said they were meeting Death Eaters on the grounds. So we followed them to hear what they were saying. They're planning an attack for tomorrow. We told Dumbledore what they're planning. When we were leaving, they heard us so I transformed into my Animagus form to distract them. I got hit though."

Remus wrapped her tightly in his arms. "Thank God it wasn't worse."

"I know," Lena murumed. "I was so scared though."

"I would be too," Remus said.

"Remus, I lost the map. Flitch confiscated it. I'm so sorry."

"I don't care about the map. It doesn't matter. I'm just glad you're here and you're alive."

"But you worked so hard on it."

"Lena, it's just a piece of parchment. It's not important. Nothing is more important than you."

Remus pulled Lena down on top of him and they rested on his bed. She nuzzled her head in the crook of his neck and placed her hand over his heart.

"You don't seem surprised. About the attack."

"Dumbledore already told the Order about it."

"You're going."

"Yes."

"You'll be careful?"

"As careful as I can."

Lena closed her eyes and nodded. "I love you."