PROLOGUE

Hridya was spellbound, what was right before her eyes was a complete shock. She felt an overwhelming surge of betrayal and disbelief at the sight before her. Never in her wildest dreams had she imagined witnessing such a scene. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she clutched her dupatta tightly and shot a searing glare at him.

Everything had ended for her. The person she trusted most had shattered that trust. She had loved him unconditionally, but seeing him with them was unbearable.

Anurag stood helpless, his eyes pleading. He had so much to say, yet he knew he was guilty. He had known this day would come, but he hadn't expected her to find out like this. He had hoped fate would be kinder, at least today, when she stood before him with questions burning in her eyes.

"Hridya, please listen to me for once," he pleaded.

Hridya closed her eyes, tears slipping down her cheeks. She glanced at the woman and the little girl holding her hand.

"Hridya," Anurag took a step forward but was stopped by her outstretched hand.

"Are you the father of this child?" Hridya asked coldly.

"Hridya, I know this is hard, but please, just listen to me," he begged.

"Dr. Anurag Saraswat, are you the father of this child?" she shouted again.

"Look, Hridya..."

"Yes or no, Dr. Saraswat?" she yelled, her voice trembling. Anurag turned to Devina and Suhana.

"No, Anurag, Hridya...please listen to me," Devina interrupted.

"I am not talking to you! Stay away," Hridya snapped.

"Answer me, Anurag. Yes or no. I'll believe whatever you say."

"Yes," Anurag confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. He placed a hand on Suhana's shoulder, unable to meet Hridya's eyes. Tears streamed down her face. She hadn't been prepared for this. She wished her suspicions had been wrong, that her eyes had deceived her. But Anurag's words broke her heart, leaving her world in ruins.

"Thank you, Dr. Saraswat, for everything," Hridya spoke softly, her voice barely audible. Without another word, she turned and walked away.

Tears streamed down her face as she ran out of the place, her heart shattered. The car had been waiting for her, and she fumbled with the door, her vision blurred by tears. Ruhana, sitting inside, saw her friend's distraught condition and felt a pang of fear. She never expected to see Hridya so devastated.

Ruhana quickly got out of the car and rushed to Hridya, who was clinging to the car door for support. She immediately took Hridya in her arms, holding her tightly and gently caressing her head.

"Calm down, Hridya," Ruhana whispered soothingly.

"Please take me from here, I can't..." Hridya sobbed, her words choked by her tears.

"Hridya, please..."

"Please take me from here, Roo," Hridya pleaded, her voice breaking.

Understanding the depth of her friend's anguish, Ruhana guided her into the car and then climbed back into the driver's seat. Watching Hridya fall apart was tearing Ruhana apart as well, but she knew she had to stay strong for her friend. As tears welled up in her own eyes, she swallowed hard, determined to be the support Hridya needed. She started the car, and as they drove away, the weight of Hridya's sorrow hung heavily in the air.

They reached Hridya's home, where she moved like a lifeless shell, her steps heavy with despair. Ruhana assisted her, holding her hand as they walked inside. They went straight to Hridya's room, Ruhana refusing to leave her side. She didn't know what had happened but sensed it was something catastrophic. Hridya hadn't spoken a word since they left.

"Hridya, what happened there? Can't you tell me?" Ruhana asked gently, but silence was her only response.

Ruhana placed a comforting hand on Hridya's shoulder, but she didn't even turn to acknowledge her presence. Desperate to reach her friend, Ruhana pulled her into a hug, trying to offer some solace, but Hridya remained unresponsive, like a living corpse.

"Speak to me, Hridya. Speak to me," Ruhana pleaded, but her words fell on deaf ears. Fighting back her own tears, Ruhana stood up from the bed, wracking her brain for a way to get Hridya to open up. An idea struck her, and she grabbed her phone, dialing the one person who came to mind.

"Will you come over?" Ruhana asked, her voice strained with worry.

"Sure," came the immediate reply before the call disconnected.

Ruhana looked back at Hridya, who sat motionless on the bed, her eyes vacant. She hoped with all her heart that the person she had called could help, praying they could find a way to bring Hridya back from the edge of this dark abyss.

Devina stood in front of Anurag, her eyes blazing with anger and pain. She grabbed the collar of his suit, shaking him slightly.

"Why did you do it, Anurag? Why didn't you let me speak?" she demanded, her voice trembling.

Anurag placed one hand gently on Suhana's head and the other on her shoulder, a protective gesture that spoke volumes.

"Because that's what was right, Devina," he replied softly, pulling her into a comforting hug.

"What have you made of me?" Devina whispered, tears welling up in her eyes. She felt a crushing guilt, convinced she had ruined his life.

"I can't leave you and Suhana alone, especially not when Suhana has brought a new life to me," he said, lifting the little girl into his arms. His voice was firm but tender, a promise and a reassurance all in one.

"I can't be unfair to this child. What I did was the need of the hour," he explained, caressing Suhana's head gently. Suhana leaned in and kissed his cheek lightly, and he smiled at her, a genuine warmth radiating from him despite the turmoil.

Devina looked at them, her heart heavy but understanding the depth of Anurag's commitment. She knew that despite the chaos and the heartbreak, his decision was driven by love and a sense of responsibility.

The car stopped in front of the villa, and without a moment's hesitation, Vineet got out. He headed straight upstairs, his heart pounding. When he reached Hridya's room, he saw her sitting silently, shattered. Ruhana was beside her, her pain mirrored in her eyes as they met Vineet's.

Hridya's eyes shifted to Vineet, who looked at her with deep sympathy. He opened his arms, and she immediately ran to him. He pulled her into a tight embrace, kissing the top of her head.

"I am sorry... sorry," she finally broke her silence, her voice trembling.

"Don't be. It was your chance, and I'm glad you didn't blow it," he said, trying to soothe her. His hand gently caressed her head, offering comfort.

"Vineet, it's all my fault. I-I spoiled everything," she stammered, her tears soaking his shirt.

"No, you didn't, Hridya. Don't be sorry for anything," he reassured her, his voice firm but kind.

Ruhana watched the two of them, a pang of jealousy and sorrow hitting her. She knew she couldn't be selfish, not when her friend needed Vineet so much. Deciding to give them privacy, she rose from the bed and started to walk out of the room.

Vineet, though focused on comforting Hridya, didn't miss Ruhana's departure. He reached out and gently held her hand to stop her.