Joy of little things

Devina's mind was a whirlpool of thoughts. For more than three years now, her life had been confined to the four walls of her home. She was in her late twenties, a single mother whose world revolved around her little girl. The only time she ventured outside was to pick up groceries or drop Suhana off at school. Suhana, her bright-eyed four-year-old, had recently started attending classes and was learning the basics, filling their small home with colorful drawings and endless chatter.

"Mummaaaa... je toot gaya," Suhana's voice pierced through Devina's thoughts. The little girl stood beside her, holding up a broken crayon with a pout. Devina blinked, pushing her worries aside, and smiled at her daughter's words. She sat down next to Suhana on the floor, where a jumble of colorful crayon marks covered a sheet of paper. The drawing was abstract and unrecognizable, but it was precious to Devina simply because it had been drawn by Suhana.

"Suhana bachha, dusra crayon lelo," Devina suggested, her tone gentle and reassuring.

"Mumma, mere saare crayons toot rahe hain. Aap Popsy ko bolo na mere liye new crayon laane," Suhana pleaded, her big eyes looking up at Devina with hope.

 Aap Popsy ko bolo na mere liye new crayon laane," Suhana pleaded, her big eyes looking up at Devina with hope

A pang of guilt tightened Devina's chest. "Suhana beta, Popsy jab aayenge tab bol dungi. Abhi aap inhi broken crayons se kaam chalao na," she explained softly.

"Kab aayenge Popsy?" Suhana asked, her little lips turning into a frown, her voice tinged with frustration. Devina hesitated, unsure how to answer. It had been over a month since Suhana's Popsy had last visited, and the uncertainty of when, or if, he would return gnawed at her.

"Bahot jald," Devina finally said, trying to sound optimistic. "Achha, aap Mumma ko batao ki aap kya bana rahe they?" She pointed at the three figures drawn on the paper, desperate to distract Suhana.

"Mummaaa... je Suhana hai, je aap ho... aaulll je Popsy," Suhana giggled, her tiny finger tracing the figures one by one.

"Arey wah, ye toh Suhana ne bahot achhi drawing banai hai!" Devina exclaimed, her heart swelling with pride.

"Mumma, Popsy ko bulao na. Mujhe unko bhi ye drawing dikhani hai," Suhana insisted, her innocent request cutting deeper into Devina's resolve.

"Beta, maine kaha na, Popsy abhi busy hain. Aa jayenge," Devina tried to explain, her voice faltering slightly.

"Kab aayenge?" Suhana asked again, her voice tinged with disappointment, the weight of her tiny world's confusion pressing down on her small shoulders.

"Aa gaya," a voice called from the door.

Devina and Suhana both turned, their gazes meeting the source of the voice. Standing in the doorway was a man who was as handsome as he was charming. His presence filled the room with warmth, and before Devina could fully register his arrival, Suhana was already racing towards him.

The man, Anurag, scooped Suhana up into his arms, lifting her as if she weighed nothing. Suhana, her face lighting up with pure joy, kissed his cheek, and Anurag responded by showering her with kisses all over her face, his fingers quickly finding her ticklish spots. Suhana's squeals of delight echoed through the room, her laughter a melody that made Devina's heart swell with happiness. Anurag spun her around in a wide circle, the room filled with Suhana's gleeful giggles.