Chapter 29 | Can You?

"When is that held?" He asks, which is a good sign for me because that means he is interested and my ass will be saved!

"This Saturday, 7 pm." I promptly provide him the details and wait patiently with a bright smile painted on my face.

He looks down at his phone, doing something on it, overlooking me pensively.

...

"Rosalie..." He makes eye contact with me after a while and I eagerly listen.

"I..."

Man that doesn't seem good.

"Sorry..."

"I can't..."

"Oh, okay..." I leave his eyes to stare at the floor, my smile faltering.

Man that hurts.

"I... Have a meeting..." He explains.

"That's fine, I understand." I turn my head to look at him and force out a strained smile.

...

We have been driving the whole way without saying anything, the air is nothing but uneasy and tense.

I would love to say something but I couldn't, I feel like I shouldn't when I notice that he has not been showing any signs of interest in engaging in small talks with me.

And I have been the only one starting a conversation so far...

That hurts... Again.

...

When the car stops, I feel a mixed feeling spreading across me. I'm half happy to escape the terrible and awkward silence but, simultaneously and consciously, I'm sad when I apprehend that I...

I will never see him again.

Even though he was rude at the start but... He possesses a very sweet side too.

I mean, I know nothing serious could possibly happen between us, everything was only just a fling and we were just caught in the heat of a moment, there was nothing to mull over when neither of us were serious.

I'm very aware of how much of a player he is.

Like hello?? He is a freaking dangerous leader of some underground organization and a rich CEO with smoking hot abs.

I will not be surprised at the number of women chasing after him.

I should have prepared myself for it and yet...

I thought this only happened to girls in some love novels and movies but here I am...

Depressed about a guy I can never have...

...

After exchanging goodbyes, I step out of the car onto the sidewalk, where people gradually start to gather around to admire his exotic car and take pictures of it.

That then gives me a big cue to leave quickly, for I have just gotten out of his car, and the attention can be drawn to me if any of them has an interest in wanting to know who I am.

I stride hastily towards the shop. For some reason, besides paying attention to the path I take, my hearing sense can't help but seek the sounds of his car, amongst the other distracting noises in the surroundings, to focus on them.

He stays back it seems because I can still hear him near.

But before I can even react to this new detection, my ears then catch a revving sound seconds later, indicating that he's now driving away, which causes my stomach to wrench lightly at the thought of not seeing him again.

To ascertain whether what I feel is right or not, I then stop to swivel my head around searching for him in curiosity.

Amongst the overfilled waves of people concealing the car and clicking sounds of the cameras blending with his car's engines, I eventually find him...

And just like my expectation.

He's leaving...

I watch after his car mingling with the traffic and moving further away from me...

Until it gets out of my sight, completely.

That is when I continue on with my business. I push the glass door and get inside, shaking off whatever feelings that I have.

...

"Hey." The Young girl calls me. "The boss is looking for you..."

I head to the staff room and immediately see Mister Simmons taking out the trash.

Seeing me, he drops the bag down and walks over, his facial expression resembling that of a teacher when he finds out that none of the students has done homework.

That basically means I'm in very big trouble.

"Miss Lancaster." He glares at me, having a face like thunder.

"Yes...?" I clench my lips.

He sighs as I watch nervously.

"You are fired!" He bawls out.

"What? I-" I startle, feeling a wave of panic.

"No- please, I'm sorry- I..."

He says nothing as he goes somewhere, leaving me absorbed in thoughts.

"Here." He comes back with a thin stack of money in his hand.

"What? I-"

"Take this and leave, that's your payment." He adds, shoving the money into my hands.

💫💫💫

Oh no... 😔