Chapter 3: Spear of the Solo Player

Kirito stood in the bustling marketplace of the Town of Beginnings, feeling the weight of the NerveGear pressing against his temples. It had been a week since the fateful announcement by Kayaba Akihiko, and the reality of their situation had begun to sink in. Survival was paramount, and Kirito knew he needed to improve his combat skills if he was to stand a chance of escaping this virtual prison.

He thought back to his previous encounter with a Frenzy Boar. It had been a close call, his inexperience with the sword almost costing him dearly. After analyzing the fight, he concluded that a spear would be a more effective weapon against these aggressive creatures. The spear's reach would allow him to strike from a distance, minimizing the risk of getting gored by their deadly tusks.

Determined, Kirito approached a merchant who had a variety of weapons on display. After a brief negotiation, he exchanged a portion of his Col for a sturdy, well-balanced spear. The merchant handed it over with a knowing smile. "Good choice," he said. "That should serve you well."

Kirito hefted the spear, feeling its weight and balance. It felt different from the sword, but he was confident it would give him the edge he needed. With his new weapon in hand, he headed out to the fields where the Frenzy Boars roamed.

Spotting a Frenzy Boar rooting around near a cluster of trees, Kirito readied himself for battle. This would be his second fight, and he was determined not to make the same mistakes. He approached cautiously, the spear held in a ready stance.

The boar noticed him and charged with a ferocious roar. Kirito sidestepped, thrusting the spear forward with all his might. The tip of the spear pierced the boar's hide, drawing a pained squeal. The beast turned and charged again, but Kirito was ready. He danced around its attacks, using the spear's reach to keep it at bay. The fight was intense, each movement calculated and precise. After several tense minutes, Kirito finally managed to land a critical blow, bringing the boar down.

Breathing heavily, Kirito stood over the fallen creature. He felt a surge of triumph and relief. This was the first time he had successfully defeated a Frenzy Boar. The spear had proven its worth, and Kirito knew he had found the right weapon for the job. As he pulled the spear free from the boar's body, he felt a sense of accomplishment. He had fought hard and emerged victorious, and he had learned to wield the spear on his own.

Over the next month, Kirito dedicated himself to fighting the various monsters on the first floor. He split his time between mastering the spear and improving his skills with the sword. Each battle taught him something new, whether it was the timing of a parry or the precision of a thrust. He pushed himself relentlessly, driven by the need to survive and the knowledge that failure meant more than just a game over.

During this time, Kirito came to appreciate certain aspects of this virtual world. The fact that players didn't need to eat or drink was a small mercy, sparing them the distractions of hunger and thirst. Instead, they could focus entirely on honing their skills and surviving the dangers that awaited them. Kirito often exchanged his hard-earned Col for information about the monsters he faced. This knowledge was invaluable, helping him understand their weaknesses and improve his strategies.

Despite the physical exhaustion that came with constant fighting, Kirito's concern for his real-world body drove him to push harder. He couldn't shake the fear of what might happen to his physical form while he was trapped in this digital realm. This fear fueled his determination, motivating him to give everything he had in each battle.

One fine day, as the sun began to set over Aincrad, Kirito found himself battling a group of Ruin Kobold Sentinels. These hulking creatures were tougher than the Frenzy Boars, their brute strength and relentless attacks testing his limits. He fought valiantly, using his spear to keep them at bay, but the sheer number of Sentinels began to overwhelm him.

Just as he was starting to lose hope, a flash of movement caught his eye. A girl with chestnut hair and sharp, determined eyes leaped into the fray. She moved with grace and precision, her sword flashing as she expertly dispatched the Sentinels. Kirito watched in awe as she fought, her skill and confidence far surpassing his own.

With her help, they quickly defeated the remaining Sentinels. Breathing heavily, Kirito turned to his savior. "Thank you," he said, gratitude evident in his voice. "I don't think I could have handled them on my own."

The girl sheathed her sword and nodded. "No problem. You looked like you could use some help." She introduced herself as Asuna, her voice carrying a mix of strength and warmth. "You've got some skills, but don't let it get to your head. You've still got a lot to learn."

Kirito couldn't help but feel a bit embarrassed by her words, but he knew she was right. "I'm Kirito," he said, extending a hand. "Thanks again for the assist. You're really impressive out there."

Asuna smiled briefly, shaking his hand. "Thanks. I've been working hard, just like you. This world is dangerous, and we all need to be prepared."

Before she could leave, Kirito mustered the courage to ask, "Would you like to be friends? We could help each other out."

Asuna hesitated, her eyes studying him carefully. After a moment, she shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I prefer to work alone. It's nothing personal." With that, she turned and walked away, leaving Kirito standing there, feeling a mix of disappointment and newfound determination.

The next morning, Kirito sat in a small café, enjoying a cup of tea. He appreciated the fact that, despite the dire circumstances, he could still find moments of normalcy. The tea tasted surprisingly good, and it provided a small comfort in the midst of chaos. As he sipped, he overheard a conversation at a nearby table.

"Did you hear about the meeting Diabel is hosting?" one player asked. "Apparently, he's gathering everyone to discuss a plan for clearing the first floor boss."

Kirito's interest was piqued. He had heard of Diabel, a player known for his leadership skills and charismatic presence. Diabel was a tall, confident man with striking blue hair and a reassuring smile. He had quickly become a prominent figure among the players, organizing groups and providing guidance.

Kirito decided to attend the meeting. Any information about the boss could be crucial, and the opportunity to hear Diabel's plan was too valuable to pass up. Finishing his tea, he stood and made his way toward the designated meeting place, ready to learn what he could and continue his quest for survival.