Chapter 6: Climbing the Ranks

Kirito stepped into the portal, and the world shifted around him. He emerged on the second floor of Aincrad, his heart pounding with a mixture of anxiety and anticipation. The fresh surroundings were a stark contrast to the dark, foreboding atmosphere of the first floor. Here, the landscape was lush and vibrant, with rolling hills and dense forests stretching as far as the eye could see. The sky was a clear, brilliant blue, and the sun cast a warm, inviting glow over everything.

Taking a deep breath, Kirito allowed himself a moment of appreciation for the game's creators. Despite the danger and uncertainty, the beauty of Aincrad was undeniable. He marveled at the intricate details and lifelike scenery, his worries momentarily forgotten. But reality quickly set back in—this world, no matter how beautiful, was a prison. Survival was paramount, and he couldn't afford to get lost in admiration.

After exploring the area, Kirito found a small, cozy inn nestled in a quiet corner of the second floor's main village. It was a modest place, but it provided the shelter and solitude he needed. He spent the night planning his next steps, reminding himself that surviving this game was more important than gaining fame or recognition.

The next day, Kirito began his rigorous training regimen. He ventured into the wilderness, confronting various monsters and honing his skills. He knew he needed to get stronger, faster, and more efficient if he was to survive the increasingly difficult challenges ahead. His resolve was firm, and he fought tirelessly, pushing himself to his limits each day.

As he was battling a group of ox-type monsters, his concentration was suddenly broken by the chime of a new message. He finished off the last monster and opened the message. It was from Asuna.

"Thank you for saving my life during the boss fight on the first floor. I hope we can meet again sometime. Stay alive."

A wave of mixed emotions washed over Kirito. The appreciation he had longed for was there, yet he felt a twinge of guilt for not responding. Motivated by her words, he threw himself back into the fray, determined to become even stronger.

Months passed, and Kirito's progress was remarkable. By the time he reached the 27th floor, he had soloed through numerous challenges, refining his combat abilities. Through relentless practice, he discovered that he was capable of wielding two swords simultaneously—a skill that gave him a significant edge in battle. Realizing the disadvantage of switching between a sword and a spear mid-fight, he decided to focus on dual-wielding swords.

He avoided contact with anyone from the first floor, choosing to fight alone and improve his skills. He stayed away from floor boss battles, preferring to sharpen his abilities through constant solo combat. The game mechanics, which allowed his body to avoid fatigue, played to his advantage. His skills grew sharper each day, and his repertoire of abilities expanded:

One-Handed Sword: His primary combat skill, allowing him to use various sword techniques effectively.

Dual Blades: An unofficial skill that let him wield two swords at once, giving him a distinct advantage.

Battle Healing: A passive skill that gradually restored his health during combat.

Parry: Enabled him to deflect and counter enemy attacks.

Acrobatics: Increased his agility and allowed him to perform complex maneuvers.

Search: Enhanced his ability to detect hidden enemies and traps.

Tracking: Used to follow the trails of other players or monsters.

Night Vision: Improved his visibility in low-light conditions.

Cooking: While not a combat skill, it allowed him to prepare quality meals, which was useful for maintaining morale and gaining temporary buffs.

One fine day on the 27th floor, while searching for monsters, Kirito heard the sounds of battle nearby. He followed the noise and found a group of players struggling against a large, praying mantis-type monster. Among them was Sachi, who had been a quiet but capable player.

Without hesitation, Kirito rushed in to help. He leaped high into the air, spinning twice before delivering a powerful slash to the monster's head. The creature let out a shriek before disintegrating into data shards. The group, relieved and grateful, turned to their unexpected savior.

Keita, the leader of the group, stepped forward and extended his hand. "Thank you for saving us. My name is Keita, and these are my friends: Tetsuo, Sasamaru, Ducker, and Sachi. We're the Moonlight Black Cats."

Kirito gave them a gentle nod, but without saying a word, he walked away. He spent the rest of the day fighting more monsters and refining his skills. When he finally returned to the residential area, he decided to relax with a drink at the local tavern.

As fate would have it, he encountered the Moonlight Black Cats again. Keita approached him, clearly intent on making conversation. "Hey, thanks again for earlier. Can we join you?"

Kirito nodded, and the group sat down. Keita introduced himself as the leader of the Moonlight Black Cats and praised Kirito's combat prowess. "You were amazing out there. We'd love to have you join our guild. With your skills, we could really make a difference."

Kirito, however, shook his head. "I appreciate the offer, but I prefer to fight alone."

Keita respected his decision, not pushing further. "I understand. But if you ever change your mind, you're always welcome with us."

Before the conversation could end, Keita made a final request. "We're looking for a rare item in the labyrinth. We could use your help. Would you be willing to join us for this quest?"

Kirito considered the request for a moment before nodding. "I'll help you with the quest, but that's it."

Keita smiled gratefully. "Thank you. We'll meet at the labyrinth entrance tomorrow."

With that, the Moonlight Black Cats left the tavern, leaving Kirito to reflect on the day's events. He had avoided making connections with other players for so long, but perhaps it was time to reconsider his solitary approach. For now, he was committed to helping Keita and his friends, and he hoped that this decision would lead to something meaningful.