[20] When night falls

Xavier strongly massaged his forehead and senses

Xavier strongly massaged his forehead and senses. He laid down several pieces of paper on the table while soothing his aching eyes. He yawned deeply and leaned his head against the soft sofa. The morning was filled with the chirping of birds. He quietly watched the slow movement of thick clouds in the sky. Like their gradual drift, time seemed to move incredibly slowly for him.

The palace servants were busy repairing damaged equipment and parts. From the third floor of his room, he could hear the discourse of people working on the broken wall. Despite all the activity, the central part of the palace remained quiet because the king's position was vacant, and he was currently managing the issues and concerns of Cornelia.

He heard a knock on the door and turned to look at it.

"Come in."

Julio's father entered and smiled at Xavier. Xavier straightened up and arranged some papers on his desk. Now that Markeus was no longer in the palace, he was once again seeing familiar faces.

"Lord Xavier, here are the information I gathered about the former king." He laid down several papers and a thick notebook. Xavier furrowed his brow before picking them up.

"Please have a seat, Mister Smith," he said, starting to flip through the notebook. His eyebrows were furrowed as he read through each page. As he turned each page, he noticed different dates. "Explain this to me."

The old man nodded. "King Argus entrusted me with some of his belongings. He had me hide this notebook before the tragedy befell the Remington family, along with other valuable items."Xavier didn't look up and continued flipping through the pages.

"In that case, this is the diary of the former king." He nodded slowly until he stopped at September. Then he turned to the old man with a look of curiosity.

"If you notice, the king stopped writing in September. Because that's the month he was assassinated."

"I was told by Lilit—" he paused momentarily, correcting the identity of the lady. "According to Princess Avery, Markeus's father was responsible for it. But that accusation was never proven."

Sadness registered on his face. "That's true, but only a few people know about it. I also don't know how Princess Avery found out, but based on the investigation I conducted, we discovered that the king was poisoned."

He flipped the page again to the left and revisited the earlier dates. "Weren't they close friends? What could have driven King Lucas to do that to King Argus?"

The old man took a deep breath before speaking. His gaze was serious, prompting Xavier to pay even closer attention. "Because King Lucas was a spy for Fiorre."

"