AFTER THE DESTROYER

THE JOURNAL OF TOREZ LUCERO III

The 40th Year of Blood

The Luceros of Snakefort have never backed down from any kind of conflict, dating back to our beginnings by Lucero the Snake. The Luceros were the strongest family in the East and no one, not even our fellow Easterners; the Sántoses and the Riveras could take us down.

But all that changed when my grandfather, Juan Lucero rode to the West with the combined forces of Snakefort, Sandstorm and Scorpion Hill and even Bloodstone, to meet the Death Horde that was invading the North and the West of Dragos.

Upon first sight, my grandfather saw the great many beasts that made up this so-called "Death Horde" and they were literal monsters.

Instead of leading a charge into battle like a Lucero would do, my grandfather rode to Oceanrock under the flag of parley and met the leader of this Horde; the Fell One to some, but to all of the realm, he was Sargon the Destroyer.

And upon the steps of Oceanrock, my grandfather surrendered the ancestral blade of Lucero the Snake, Serpent's Wrath and swore fealty to Sargon and his horde. The other Lords of the East were reluctant in following my grandfather's lead, but they too knelt and swore fealty.

Within days after his return to Snakefort, my grandfather was nicknamed "The Chickenshit Lord" as well as "The Cowardly Snake that Kneeled".

The Luceros' reputation was stained by my grandfather's act of cowardice, and it wouldn't be restored, until my father, Vargas Lucero rode with Lord Cedrick Daemon of Dragon Hall and his army to Azura when the Great Icy Winter passed from the realm.

With the other noble houses, we fought the Death Horde on Stallion's Field and spilt much blood. When Sargon fell to the blade of Lord Cedrick, the battle was won, and the Horde dispersed and fled all across the realm.

Sargon's personal guard, the Blood Legion was left to defend the city gates of Azura, and it was at the city gates where they met their end by the swords and spears of the Luceros and the other Eastern armies.

Even though the city was immediately surrendered by the order of Princess Stefania at Deathrock, it didn't stop some of our men from looting the city of its valuables.

My brother, Braun and I were helping gather up our fallen brothers on Stallion's Field, when my father rode with Lord Cedrick to take Azura.

When the sun began to set, my father and Lord Cedrick returned to our encampment with their legions and prisoners in tow. One of those prisoners was Sargon's own personal advisor, Andros of Rygiel.

That man's reputation preceded him, for he was the most devious mind in all of the realm, if not of the Known World. It was also known that he was a eunuch.

What a horrible life to live: living without a cock.

My father took him into a tent, while the rest of the prisoners were processed and placed in different tents.

They were all to be escorted to the Forsaken Lands, by Lord Gordyn Forrester and Lord Quentin Stonebridge, as they dared not remain in Azura, which had now been entrusted to the surviving sons of Quinn Roth of Wolf's Den.

So, while Braun enjoyed a plate of venison and fried potatoes with ale to drink, I sat on a log, looking at the tent where my father had taken Andros inside. What they were doing to that man, I do not know. They must've been trying to squeeze out any vital information about Sargon's household or any other plans that Sargon had in place, in the event of his demise.

If I were my father, that's exactly what I would do.

THE JOURNAL OF VARGAS LUCERO