01|Plotting the path

Please vote & comment .

•~•

Dinner time is always so much drama in my house. The whole Sinha squad gathers every day like it's some ancient tradition that we can never break.

My grandfather clears his throat to get everyone's attention. And so, the plan begins.

My grandfather always has my back, but even he's not exactly thrilled about my plan. Still, he's agreed to go along with it for my sake.

"Rishi, don't you think Vritika should get married now? Maybe we should start looking for potential suitors," my dear grandfather, Viraj Sinha, asks my dad.

"I agree," chimes in my strict grandmother, Reena Sinha.

I knew she would be eager to see me married off so she could indulge in sweets. But I've got news for her – she's not getting rid of me that easily!

"But who would agree to marry her? Marry this troublemaker?" My not-so-dear younger brother Kabir Sinha, who is in his final year of MBA, remarks. Leave it to my brother to chime in with his unsolicited opinion.

Let him join the family business first, and then he'll see who's in charge.

"Kabir, be quiet," my kind mother, Kanak Sinha, shuts him down real quick, as usual.

"I'll consider it, Papa," my dad responds. Despite his disagreements with my mother, he loves me dearly. He may not be the best husband, but he's a fairly good father a girl could ask for.

"Alright then, I know a few boys. I'll send their photos to Vritu, make sure you take a look," my grandmother says.

I simply give her a thumbs up in response.

"Vritika, meet me in my study after dinner," my dad says. I can already guess what it's about.

After dinner, I knock on the door of dad's study and step inside and sit down at his chair, waiting for him to keep the book aside and start the conversation.

He puts the book down and gazes at me. I meet his eyes. He's aging and appears weary.

"Do you truly desire to get married?"

"Perhaps I should consider marriage, especially since I'm nearing my thirties."

"You never believed that marriage should be dictated by age. You used to say you'd only marry when you found the right person. Is there someone you like?"

This is awkward. Discussing my romantic feelings with my dad... We've never broached this topic before.

"No, I don't. I think it's time for me to start meeting men with marriage in mind. I can't wait forever, and I'm not the type to make the first move even if I'm interested in someone."

"You've liked someone in the past."

Leave it to my dad to pick up on small details from our conversations. I swallow nervously and nod.

"Did you two ever date?" His tone carries a hint of anger and disappointment, I think?

"No," I quickly denied. Well, it's not entirely true. I did go on a few dates, but we never progressed beyond holding hands, innocent flirting, and hugs.

Gosh, I've never even kissed anyone.

"Send me the pictures that mom sends you. I'll personally investigate and gather their background information first."

"Okay."

"My little one has grown up so much. The thought of your marriage pains me." He walks over, kisses my forehead, whispers a good night, pats my head, and exits.

I only managed to force a smile in response. I can't bring myself to say those comforting words to him like I used to. The guilt of not being able to communicate with my father like before weighs heavily on me. It's hard to forget everything. It feels wrong to sympathize with him, yet I can't seem to distance myself from him.

I return to my room and gaze out of the window at the moon. Tears stream down my face.

I've always been sensitive. Little things hurt me, and then the tears come. I've tried to hold them back, but I always end up failing.

I am a sentimental fool.

“Why don't you just die and leave me alone?” My mother snaps.

“You always say that to me! Why did you even bring me into this world?” I reply, tears falling from my eyes.

“Be quiet! Is that how you speak to your mother? And why are you crying? What did I even say to you? Stop this drama.”

I open my eyes, struggling to catch my breath.

No, I can't cry, or everyone will think I'm just being dramatic. I let out a chuckle.

I unlocked my phone and looked at the 10 photos my grandmother sent me. I can do this. I'll find someone and leave this family behind.

Perhaps distancing myself from them will finally bring me the peace I've been longing for and prevent me from being emotionally affected by my mother's harsh words or my father's gaze.

•~•