thirty-five

All the seniors were gathered in the gymnasium for their upcoming trip. Everyone's voices buzzed in an orchestra of excitement and chatter as students   scattered all over the bleachers in anticipation for what the teachers had planned for their weekend away.

    Lucy fidgeted in her spot, her hands clasped neatly in her lap as she looked around the gym. Sitting farther toward the back of the bleachers was Natsu and most of their friend group, while she, Levy, and Sting sat toward the front end of the bleachers. When the blonde made eye contact with the pink haired boy, he shot her a quick wave and smiled.

    She couldn't help but smile back at him.

    It took the teachers some time to get the gym to quiet down enough before they started talking. Lucy tuned most of the introduction out, but picked up on some parts while she mentally noted spots to visit on the island. "You'll be paired off with one other person who will be your roommate. Pairings may also be co-ed depending on space and how you filled out the rooming surveys prior to today."

    Levy nudged Lucy out of her thoughts. "Are you excited?"

    "Extremely." Her face remained indifferent.

    "What if you get paired with Natsu?"

    The girl finally reacted, her eyes wide as she felt her face heat up. "Shut up."

    Levy snorted with a shrug. "I'm just saying."

    Sitting to the right of the blonde, Sting snickered. "Lucy would love the chance to sleep in the same bed as him—-no wait—-she'll probably make him take the couch but then say he can sleep on the bed and then they'll cuddle and make out. Or cuddle and make babies."

    The blonde ignored his last comment and smiled stiffly, refusing to bring up the fact that she and him already had fallen asleep together months ago while babysitting Michelle. So instead, she roughly elbowed Sting in the side and gritted out through her smile, "Oh my god shut up. I hate you both."

"You love us," Levy and Sting chimed together.

    Now lined up on the floor of the gym were other teachers each holding signs with a certain range of letters in the alphabet. The teacher holding the microphone then said, "There will be different groups divided up based on last names in alphabetical order. These groups will be for the bus and boat rides needed to get to the island. It'll take nearly the whole day, so everyone needs to make sure they have water and food prepared. We'll now have one group come down at a time to also receive their rooming pairs, starting with A to E."

Sting stood up. Lucy craned her neck to look behind her again to see Natsu starting to make his way down from the bleachers. The platinum blonde chuckled as the pink haired boy reached them. "Dragneel."

He nodded back. "Hey."

Sting rolled his eyes before a cheeky grin appeared on his face. "You hoping to get Lucy as your roomie for the trip? You'll get to sleep in the same bed as her."

Natsu raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean? We've already slept together."

Lucy's eyes widened. Levy broke out in hysterical laughter as Sting's jaw dropped. "What?" His question was directed toward Natsu, but then he shifted his attention to the blonde as he said again, "What?"

She furiously shook her head along with her hands in front of her face. She wondered if her face was pink with embarrassment or green with nauseating panic. "Wait wait wait no he didn't mean it like that! Natsu's just fallen asleep at my house before."

"In your bed?" Levy asked when she finally had a moment to catch her breath.

"In the guest bed," Lucy said in exasperation.