DnD Information

DnD - Dungeons and Dragons - is a creative game format to make any (pre)written story come to life in the form of an analogue roleplaying game.

Usually, those are fantasy stories, but in my case, I decided to transform my novel "Tomorrow's Last Breath" into a Dungeons and Dragons Game Guide for you readers who already enjoyed the story to play offline with your friends.

As a disclaimer beforehand: I do not have as much experience with playing DnD, this is simply an attempt at making my book "playable".

Feedback is appreciated :D

Playing Dungeons and Dragons is easy, you can start as a noob as I am and evolve to eventually become Game Master.

Things that are too complex for a beginner, I mentioned you could always leave out.

Here are a few pieces of important information:

What do you need for a game of Dungeons and Dragons?

Easy. You need either a set of seven dice or a regular game dice per player, your friends, the story and character sheets.

For the perks - since some can be used only a specific amount of times - it's best to keep a list to either note them down in short or as a count, especially for sanity and health stats.

Dice

DnD is played using dice.

These can/can't be regular D6 dice, professional Dungeons and Dragons players use specific dice sets.

A professional set of dice consists of the following: Seven dice - a D4, D6, D8, two D10, one D12 and D20.

The D is the amount of highest points on each dice (regular game dice have 6).

You can play DnD with regular game dice, let's just say that I didn't know you needed that many different dice just to play.

So I will - because you probably don't have the according set of dice ready at hand - formulate the rules for a regular dice (experienced DnD players have the according dice and know how to count their points).

Why are dice used?

The number rolled with a dice determines how effective your attack/action is.

This can be handy in attacks such as fights in fantasy stories.

As an example: You fight a dragon and the Game Master tells you to roll your dice.

Regular game dice:

1 - you die instantly

2 - you suffer from severe injuries and have to carry yourself injured through the rest of the game until you succumb.

3 - your attack did minor damage and leaves you injured

4 - the dragon took a critical hit but spewed fire at you, leaving you with third-degree burns.

5 - Your attack landed and leaves the dragon disoriented for a second, its injuries are starting to slow it down

6 - Your attack hits and strikes the dragon.

Seven dice set: experienced DnD players have the according dice and know how to count their points

Players

The minimum of players for a Dungeons and Dragons session is two, however a game can also be suited for a big group.