Chapter 7

I felt much better after eating that yummy dish. Apparently its a local favorite called brutney?

Its basically just shredded chicken with a bunch of veggies and a tangy sauce I've also never heard of. My parents were so cute they were giggling while watching me try it. its a comfort dish for them and they, like all the other mer-people, grew up eating it.

They were so happy I finally got to taste a dish from their childhood. Seeing their smile makes me smile in return.

We are currently traveling through the kingdom streets, or swimming through them I guess, to get to the kingdom. All the shops are closing and people are turning in for the night. I look in awe as I see baby mermaids helping their parents close their little restaurants or packing up their merchandise stalls.

"So cute." I mutter as I turn around to resume my travels with my parents.

"So what's going to happen once we get to the castle?" I ask my father as I see the beautiful castle getting closer and closer.

"Well, unless he already retired, I know a fellow guard who usually takes the night duty and he'll let us in." He starts and opened his mouth to say something else but a gasp was heard from behind us.

The three of us turn around and see two young teenagers, one boy and one girl.

The girl gasps again, "Oh my goodness! It is you! Brendan look!" She turns to the boy and shakes his shoulders making him look up at us."

The boy gasps this time. "Oh my gosh, um aren't you General Voyage?" His eyes opening wide as he stares at my father.

I turn to my dad and a smirk threatens to spill from his mouth.

"Can we take a picture with you? If were not bothering you and your family?" The girl asks.

"Of course you can." My dad replies and swims over to take a picture with them on the girls korally.

They said their thanks and quickly swam away to tell their parents.

My eyes are still wide and I let out a chuckle as my dad swims back to us.

"How did they know you? they weren't here during the war they're so young." I question.

"From school I suppose, they of course teach the great war and I'm sure your father came up as he was one of the most important people there." My mom replies.

"I see, thats why he's so cocky..." I deduce.

"Hey!" he laughs while nudging me.

"Maybe I don't need to get you a korally after all then such I'm so cocky and don't care about others!" he teases as he swims faster ahead of me.

"hey! I didn't say that last part! Wait up!" I giggle as I try to swim faster but he's too fast so I just kind of lag behind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

About 15 more minutes of swimming and we enter the less treaded part of the waters because we've left the actual town and in the area of the castle part.

Less buildings are nearby and more open ocean which is cool but also a little eerie, especially at night when the overall area is less lightened. I watch as several sharks and large jellyfish swim in the open waters in the nearby distance. I swim closer to my parents.

"Don't worry honey, they won't hurt you, they don't have interest in us and vice versa, you're safe." My mom utters. rubbing my shoulders.

I nod and turn my head back to the path and thats when I notice it.