Destiny's Call (01x01.1)

The pilot episode of Destiny: Take Two. Young Merlin arrives in Camelot and starts a destiny not only for himself but for everyone around him.

_________________________________________

ACT I

EXT. COUNTRYSIDE- DAY

MERLIN, 18 tall with black hair and deep blue eyes, walks through the countryside to Camelot.

MYSTERIOUS VOICE
(V.O.)
No young man, no matter how great, can know his destiny. He cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, he must live and learn. And so it will be for the young warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot. A boy that will, in time, father a legend. His name: Merlin.

EXT. MAIN SQUARE-DAY

Merlin walks through the gates of the lower town, looking around the bustling town, filled with more people than he had ever seen in his life, and is in awe of the sheer size of the castle before him.

He notices a large crowd and politely pushes his way into the main square where a man is awaiting execution. A voice booms overhead and the crowd around him falls silent.

UTHER
Let this serve as a lesson to all.

UTHER PENDRAGON, an intimidating man in his 50's and King of Camelot, stands on a balcony above the main square to address his subjects with two guards standing beside him.

UTHER
(CONT.)
This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic.

Merlin watches the king, captivated, and shifts nervously.

UTHER
(CONT.)
Under the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death.

Merlin's eyes widen slightly in horror as this sinks in. He tries his best to appear unaffected by this news.

UTHER
(CONT.)
I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass.

The guards in the square shove Thomas to the ground. Merlin watches, fearful, as Uther raises his hand to signal the executioner. The ax swings down and Thomas is beheaded. The crowd gasps and most turn away. Merlin does not. He only turns away from Thomas when the king speaks again, who is completely unaffected by what just happened.

UTHER
(CONT.)
When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos. But with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm.

Merlin watches the king with growing anger as he finishes his speech.

UTHER
(CONT.)
So, I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evils of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin!

With the king's pronouncement done, the king and crowd begin to leave.

An older woman, MARY COLLINS, wails in agony, and the crowd parts around her. She turns to address the king directly.

MARY COLLINS
There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred! And your ignorance!

Her voice cracks. Merlin watches with tears beginning to form in his eyes. Even Uther appears to be mildly affected by the woman and her plight.

MARY COLLINS
(CONT.)
(sobs)
You took my son!
(beat, now serious)
And I promise you before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth,
(beat)
a son for a son.