Roots

Vi fanned at herself, the scorching heat felt worse when carrying almost twice her weight in boxes.

Powder walked beside her with bags of broken crayons and half dried markers "Do you think I'll be able to paint another mural?"

Vi gave a little grunt before pushing away the discomfort to smile down at her little sister, it came easy to hide the swirling of her feelings to reassure her. "Vander says the new place is huge, imagine all those plain walls waiting for you to fill them up"

"But it's topside" Powder frowned suddenly "You and Vander always talk about how awful the people from Piltover are...what if the Kiramann are like that too?"

"What does-"

"I heard Vander say we will be staying in one of their properties" Powder shrugged innocently, it was an adorable sight as she struggled with her bags "What if they have a lot of rules?"

"We won't be staying in the house with them, it's true that Vander is renting one of their properties but..." Vi smiled conspiratorially lowering her voice to a whisper "What they can't see won't hurt them"

"What are you two talking about?" Claggor butted in, Mylo trailing behind him with a smirk.

"About how Vi will get swept by the rich girls over there and forget about us" Mylo shoved Vi's shoulder playfully but admittedly there was a hint of sadness behind all that teasing.

Vi rolled her eyes and adjusted her grip on the boxes "I'm not forgetting about you guys"

"You better not"

"Hey, you didn't deny being swept by rich girls" Claggor raised his eyebrows

"I'm not getting a Piltie girlfriend, ever" She grimaced "Those girls are the biggest brats of society"

"Oh boy, Claggor our sis is never getting some action-"

"Mylo" Vi gritted out a reprimand, Powder was always a curious listener.

"Some action?" As on cue Powder looked at her sister with intrigue "What does he mean by that?"

"Nothing" Vi huffed and bashfully shifted on her feet which prompted Mylo's laughter fest.

"But in all honesty...we will miss you girls" Claggor said, suddenly looking glum "It won't be the same living here without you"

"I still don't know why you don't want to come with us" Powder tried and failed to cross her arms.

"Because they are smart" Vi muttered - far too quiet for Powder to actually hear.

"Well Powds" Claggor ruffled her hair with affection "Vander has entrusted us to guard this place"

Mylo nodded enthusiastically "It's a very important job"

Violet gave them a small nod - a symbol of gratefulness for keeping her sister in the shadows about certain topics.

Claggor and Mylo had refused to follow Vander into Piltover, Zaun was their home and nothing could change their minds.

Vi agreed, Zaun was where she belonged and if she had a choice she would've stayed behind as well. But Vander had been very insistent that Powder needed a change.

She had tried to pry more information out of him but all she got was "The less you know the better. But it's to keep both of you safe" Which instead had confused her even more.

Yet Vi would do anything for her sister, even if it meant moving to Piltover- the side that hated her kind.

"Vi?" Powder brought her attention back "Will we ever visit them?"

"Of course Pow-Pow"

"And we will be inviting some girls over when you do" Mylo cracked a smile towards Vi "Zaun girls"

Violet snickered "How generous"

"I hope you invite Ekko too" Powder frowned "I'm really going to miss playing hide and seek with him"

"We might just get enough time to go over to Ekko's to say goodbye"

"Really?" She perked up at Vi's words "But Vander said that as soon as he came back we'd get going"

"That's why Mylo and Claggor are going to load all these boxes while you and I sneak away"

"We are going to what?" Mylo gasped dramatically "As muscular as my arms are-"

"Muscular?" Vi laughed heartily "Where?"

"Here" He tried flexing, his face settling into deep concentration.

"Oh" Vi squinted her eyes "I think I see some muscle..."

"You see!"

"In powders's arms"

Mylo glared and snatched the boxes from her hands "I'll prove that I can carry more than you!"

"Thanks mate" She winked mockingly "Make sure you get all of them"

"Oh you...ack! How do I fall for your traps every time?"

"Awe don't worry Mylo one day you'll get my muscles and my smarts"

"Hey!"

In that moment everything felt right, just bickering between family. Which made Vi feel a pang of sorrow, she had found a blanket of safety and that was about to be altered again.

"Go on before he challenges you to an arm wrestle" Claggor chuckled "I'll make sure all of your stuff gets loaded safely"

"Thanks" Vi smiled as she patted both Claggor and Mylo's backs "I'll see you when we get back"

"Hurry back because we need to do a special toast for our own goodbyes"

"I stole some sparkling apple juice and it's already cooling in a bucket full of ice" Claggor grinned with eagerness "One last time with the fam right?"

"...Yeah" Vi mumbled- the words tasting bitter on her tongue "For one last time"