Chapter 4

After Joe left, I was sentenced straight to bed by Sally, who caught me in the kitchen, crying. That whole night, I didn't sleep. I was up most of the time with trips to the bathroom, where I threw up the contents of my stomach, and soon all that was left was an ugly yellow bile constantly erupting from within my stomach. It didn't help that Sally kept asking questions like, 'God, how physical did you both get that night?" and saying things like, 'I never expected you to do that, even when you were drunk!". I knew she was just trying to have a laugh, but this made me feel even sicker.

Currently, I feel all too ill to move. Poor Sally has been running around after me so far all day, and I feel so sorry for her. She's had to get me painkillers, which are hardly staying down, and make sure that I keep at least one meal down as well as anything I have to drink. I feel like she is mothering me, and I strongly dislike it, but I feel so weak that I don't want to argue. I play some music on my phone, and the first song that comes on as I shuffle my playlist could not be more ironic.

Why does my head hurt?
How did I get here?
Was it the thirteenth shot or the twelfth beer?
Why did I wake up, with all my clothes off, on someone's kitchen floor?
This is so wrong.

It had to be Back In Time by McBusted. And the lyrics are literally me the other night, for the most part. Except the chorus, I would not "replay" it:

If I could go back in time,
Then I would replay last night,
She's got me losing my mind,
Wish I could go back in time.

There's a knocking on the door, and I open my eyes momentarily, but they're so tired that they just droop close again. 'Hi.'
'Hey, how is she?' I internally groan. It's him. Joe is back again.
'Not good.' Sally lowers her voice slightly, but luckily I have sharp hearing. 'She's been vomiting all night, she can't keep much down. Bless her, she hasn't left her bed at all since last night.' I ball myself up in my bed further, snuggling under a cushion fort I made when bored. 'Shit. Can I see her?' This time I actually do groan.
'Yeah, sure.'

'I still don't know why you care.' I mumble tiredly, willing my eyes to open wide enough to see Joe. 'So you've said.' He replies, sitting down. 'Are you normally this ill after?'
'Depends how long I stay.'
'You look awful.'
'Thanks.' I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.
'It's the truth.'
'Hon, you have to break up with him.' Sally speaks, sitting down beside me. 'You know full well that you're putting yourself at risk.'

'I can't, can you imagine the outcome?'
'It won't last as long as staying together would.' Sally retorts, folding her arms.
'Look, you should both come round to mine and Caspar's. At least then you'll be able to see how every guy should treat a girl, even if they hardly know who the fuck they are.' This makes me smile a watery smile.
'Okay, when she feels better.' Sally says. I shoot her a look. 'What?'
'And since when do you make my decisions for me?' I ask shrilly. 'What tells you that I need his help? Or anyone's help? I can handle it just fine on my own.'

At this, Joe bursts into laughter. 'What's so funny?'
'Sorry, it's just you think you've got this.' He gasps through laughter. I pull a face.
'Who're you to talk? You don't know anything about me!' I spit, agitated.
'I know enough to know that that is the biggest lie I've ever heard.'
'We're going round. You could do with a relax.' Sally whispers, holding my hand tightly.
'No, we're not.'
'What time?'

I look at Sally in disgust. 'What time suits?'
'Trust me, we can do all day. You?'
'Anytime, really. Caspar might be filming tomorrow, so I'd make it any time after three, maybe.'
'Alrighty. Tomorrow, after three . . . and you're coming!' Sally turns to me and gives me a serious look. I scowl back. Joe and Sally exchange mischievous glances, making my scowl droop further.

After Joe leaves, Sally is running up the stairs, tripping sometimes. 'Oh my God, you like him!' She screams.
'I do not! I despise him.' I correct, issuing her yet another look of disgust.
'Oh, of course you do.' Sally smirks, 'you like him, you just won't admit it to yourself or anyone else.'
'In order for me to like him, I would have to stop hating him, and that isn't going to happen.'
'You like him. It's so obvious! You're just covering it up, but deep down you like him. And I mean like like, by the way.'
'What are we, year five?! Like like?! And ha ha ha - that'll never happen, and you know it.' Sally walks away, still muttering about how I secretly like him, I just think she's lost the plot.