Chapter 2

Lowen lay in bed alone, her anger undiminished. Her specter continued its furious pacing, its sharp nails occasionally scraping across the mental confines of Lowen's mind. She inhaled deeply, turning restlessly in her bed.

Lowen, your mind is chaos right now, Azriel's voice whispered gently through their bond.

She rolled onto her back, a smile slowly forming on her lips.

You're breaking your own rule, she mused, and his soft chuckle resonated along their connection.

Nesta is resting, and Bryce is pretending to sleep. We're taking a break before we regroup, his voice came through, soft and perhaps a touch weary.

Are you okay? Lowen asked softly, her concern filtering gently through the bond, along with a gentle caress.

Azriel closed his eyes for a moment, soaking in the soothing touch of her mental caress. He missed her already. The longing to be near her grew stronger; perhaps it was time for a vacation, just the two of them, somewhere far from the Night Court. He would take her anywhere she wanted—well, anywhere but the Autumn Court, unless she insisted.

Azriel? Her voice echoed through the bond, pulling him from his thoughts.

He realized he hadn't responded yet.

We're alright, he replied, his reassurance flowing back to her and easing her worry.

A brief silence followed.

You should kill her, she whispered.

Azriel stretched his neck, undisturbed by her words.

Lowen had been diligently working on embracing the darker aspects of her soul since last year's Calanmai, allowing them to merge with her present self. Over the past year, she had made significant progress, yet occasionally, her demeanor would shift—becoming cold, rigid, and harboring thoughts of dark and dangerous actions. Azriel, familiar with his own shadowy inclinations, wasn't bothered by this. However, he noticed how it unnerved the others, their silent study of her irritating him.

Except for Nesta.

He was certain Nesta would follow Lowen anywhere, which was why she was here with him in these caves. Lowen had been ordered to stand down, unable to accompany him, and Nesta had volunteered without hesitation. Seeing Nesta's loyalty had brought relief to Lowen's eyes, and Azriel felt grateful for her friendship.

We can't kill her. Rhys wants us to see where this leads, he explained, his voice soothing as he sent his own gentle mental caress through the bond.

He believes she'll uncover something crucial.

He felt Lowen sigh, her tension easing slightly under his reassurance.

I wish you were here with me. I can't sleep, she murmured softly.

Restless?

He felt her nod through the bond as he stood with Nesta and Bryce, preparing to move forward.

Would you like a melody to lull you to sleep? he suggested with a hint of amusement.

Yes, please, she responded immediately, and he almost chuckled at her eagerness.

A smile spread across her face as his quiet humming began to echo through the bond. She listened, not recognizing the tune, but the soothing sound of his beautiful voice slowly lulled her into a light sleep, his melody lingering in her mind.

+

Panic and fear surged through her bond with Azriel, jolting Lowen awake. With a snap of her fingers, she donned her leather armor and vanished in a winnow, reappearing instantly in the Hewn City. She charged into the dungeons, oblivious to the astonished faces around her, and stormed through just as Bryce had.