Part 6

Thanatos, the great god of Death, was lying in a field, with the junior mountain master of the Chen Zhao Triads beside him.

"So, how was your day?" Thanatos asked. He was alone with his daughter, Chen's child, in a field of wild flowers and grass. "Hmm...," Jay responded, twirling a daisy stem between her fore finger and thumb. "Does that mean.., good?" Thanatos asked hopefully. He didn't want to push her, but he didn't know what 'good' meant, or how she said it. He could say that he was just a man, but he wasn't. Still, he was a father "I don't know," Jay replied. She rolled onto her side and smiled at him, "Tell me about your day." He smiled. So it had been a good day after all. "Well, "he told her "I went to see Hestia about some..."

The flowers were beautiful that night, in that field. So was his voice. She loved to hear him talk of godly conversations and foolish mortal con - men. She loved to hear him talk, to see him smiling. It had been hard today, it had been hard tonight. She hated to have re - ignited that fight with Toby, the bitterness that had followed. He understood her, understood that words had different meanings in the language she felt was well built between them. He knew what 'good' meant, that it didn't mean without problems. It could never mean without problems, not with them, not with her. She could ignore that, thanks to him

 It hadn't been a nice day, but this was nice; lying here, with her father, in a field of poppies and grasses, the hum of cicadas ringing in her ears. This was turning into a very good day.

Jay Chen, Triad daughter of Thanatos, was lying in a field of towering daisies, with dear father beside her.