XXIX. 'Trying' to ignore you.

Haerin woke up grumbling at the sound of her brothers and sisters moving around Aphrodite's cabin, burying her face in the pillow to try to muffle the noise. She blinked several times, getting used to the light filtering through the windows. Around her, the sisters she shared the room with were constantly coming and going.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," greeted Yuna, who had slipped into her room and was sitting on her bed. "Did you sleep well?"

Haerin sat up, stretching lazily and rubbing her eyes.

"More or less," she murmured, rubbing her eyes. "What time is it?"

"Almost ten," Yuna replied. "You'd better hurry if you don't want to miss breakfast."

With a groan, Haerin got out of bed and began to get ready. She put on denim shorts and a camp T-shirt, tying her hair into a high ponytail.

As she was putting on her sneakers, her daily thoughts came back to her mind.

Minji.

It had been a few weeks since that kiss in the training arena, an eternal week in which she had nearly gone crazy. Haerin had tried to keep her promise to forget about Kim Minji, but it was harder than she expected; the first days were torture, she couldn't handle it, she couldn't handle the indifference.

"Are you ready?" Yuna's voice brought her out of her thoughts.

Haerin nodded, forcing a smile.

"Yes, let's go."

The sisters left the cabin and headed toward the dining hall. The camp was already in full swing: campers of all ages were moving back and forth, some heading to breakfast, others already beginning their daily activities.

In the dining hall, Haerin parted ways with Yuna and looked around for Danielle. She found her sitting at the Apollo table, animatedly discussing something with her brother Heeseung that Haerin couldn't hear.

"Good morning," Haerin greeted, sitting next to her friend.

Danielle greeted her with a bright smile.

"Haerin! Just in time. Tell this stubborn head I'm right."

Heeseung rolled his eyes.

"Please don't encourage her. She's insufferable enough without help."

Haerin laughed, grateful for the distraction her friends provided.

"What are you two arguing about this time?"

"Heeseung insists he can beat Ryujin in a sword duel this time," Danielle explained. "I'm telling him it's crazy."

"Didn't she already beat you up?"

"That's what I told him!"

"I can do it!" protested Heeseung. "I've been training a lot."

"Ryujin already beat you up, and surely she has also trained a lot," Haerin reminded him gently. "She practically was born with a sword in her hand."

Heeseung groaned.

"You too, Haerin? I thought you were on my side."

Haerin raised her hands in surrender.

"Hey, I'm just saying maybe you should start with something more... achievable."

"Like Danielle?"

His sister hit him.

At that moment, a loud group entered the dining hall. Haerin didn't need to turn to know who they were: Hanni's booming laughter was unmistakable. And where Hanni was, so was...