Act 3

Feng was marching at high tempo along the dusty dirt road leading from the farmlands towards the village

Feng was marching at high tempo along the dusty dirt road leading from the farmlands towards the village. Kaiko was trailing behind her and failing to match her pace and tempo. Every time he was about to catch up to her she would speed up just a little, and hit the ground just a little harder, kicking up slightly more dust.

She wasn't entirely deliberately staying ahead of him, she simply stomped forth with anger and determination. It was uncanny to Kaiko how she seemed to just known whenever he was about to reach her.

By the third time she sped away from him, Kaiko called her name but she didn't hear it.

He tried a few more times to no avail, she was singularly focused on her feet and the road ahead. She was almost running at this point and paying her surroundings no mind at all.

"Oi! Feng!" Kaiko shouted as he bound forward and finally managed to put his hand on her shoulder, "Slow down, will you?"

As soon as she felt his hand on her shoulder she froze and they both stood still while the dust around them settled, completely.

There was a couple of agonisingly long awkward seconds before Kaiko finally spoke.

"It isn't like you to lose your cool like that." Kaiko said as he got closer and stood next to her.

She didn't more but turned her head away from him.

"I know," She said softly, "Just give me a moment longer, and I promise I will explain."

He nodded and let her go. They were now walking at a regular pace, side by side this time, in silence.

For the next five minutes they continued to walk at a leisurely pace, however the determination in Feng's steps had not diminished, and neither had the anger in the tight grip of her staff, while Kaiko was slightly more distracted; the silence had him reflecting on the old lady, too.

During the incident he was taken by surprise when she appeared as he received no prior warning from his rocksies when they crossed the terrain. He felt that not having been forewarned of the old lady meant that the responsibility for her death had shifted from him to Feng, and he wasn't ready to forgive himself for that.

As the minutes passed, the dirt road beneath their feet had slowly turned to rough cobblestone while the scenery had turned to dense forestation all around them. The foliage was thick and the already dim twilight light had even more trouble illuminating their way forward. As they walked further away from the farmlands and closer to the village the twilight was also giving way to the darkness of night. And while neither of them noticed it in the moment, both preoccupied within themselves, the atmosphere was growing thicker and heavier and more oppressive with every further step.

When the silence seemed to have gone on for just too long, Feng stopped dead in her tracks, catching Kaiko by surprise. He turned his head to look at her and almost tripped over a particularly misplaced cobblestone.