Chapter Fourteen: The Great Escape

Crystal burst through Emericus' door, her heart heavy with guilt. "This is all my fault!"

Austin hurried after her, his footsteps echoing in the hallway. "Crystal, no, this isn't your fault."

"I shouldn't have challenged Jack. If I hadn't, he wouldn't have taken my brother," Crystal muttered as she threw her hands up in frustration.

Austin placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Crystal, you couldn't have known what would happen. I promise we will get him back," he said with a reassuring grin.

"No, you won't!" A voice rang out.

As they turned their heads, Jack emerged from the shadows just outside the doorway, his grip tight around Amara's throat, a gleaming knife pressed against her skin. "Come any closer, or I will kill her," he threatened. The knife dug into her throat, drawing blood. It was clear that this was no ordinary knife—it had the power to kill an angel.

Austin glared at Jack. "Where did you get that?" He demanded.

"That is none of your concern, but don't worry, this knife doesn't have the power to kill your precious girlfriend, just regular angels like Amara," Jack said wickedly.

"What do you want now!?" Crystal demanded.

"Travis wants to make another offer—your brother's life for his freedom," Jack announced.

"And if I refuse?" Crystal shot back, her jaw set in determination.

"Travis is giving you until tomorrow, or he will kill him," Jack instructed, his voice cold and calculating as he pushed Amara toward the concrete and vanished into the darkness of the night.

As he vanished, Crystal dropped down to Amara's side and questioned, "Amara! Are you okay?"

Amara nodded, blood dripping from her throat as she struggled to catch her breath. Crystal gently gripped her arm, helping her up.

Once Amara was on her feet, Crystal began to pace back and forth, her mind racing as she tried to think through her next steps.

Austin stepped closer, his hand reaching out to grasp hers. "Crystal, we will get him back."

"How?" she asked, her voice trembling with worry.

Austin's smile faltered slightly as he suggested, "You won't like it. My plan involves going into the underworld."

Crystal's eyes widened in alarm. "Absolutely not!" she exclaimed, shaking her head vehemently.

"Why are you so against me going into the underworld?" Austin questioned.

Crystal's voice wavered as she continued, "Because seeing you as the devil made me realize that I'm terrified of losing you."

Austin's expression softened as he reached out to cup her cheek gently. "You won't lose me. I promise I'll come back to you."

Crystal let out a resigned sigh. "Fine, on one condition, you take me with you."

Austin shook his head in refusal. "What? No, I will not put you in that kind of danger," he declared defiantly.

"I'm not asking. You're not going unless you take me with you," Crystal insisted firmly.

Austin couldn't help but smirk as he pulled her in closer. "Did I ever tell you I find it attractive when you try to tell me what to do?" He teased.

Their lips were inches away from touching when Amara's voice cut through the moment.

"Ahem! May I suggest something?" Amara interjected as she whipped the blood off her neck.