CHAPTER 31

He stopped in his tracks, letting go of her arm. He didn't really have an answer, other than the odd pounding in his heart. "Who would want to read them?" he finally asked.wI would," she said frankly. "Eloise, Felicity..." she added, ticking off names on her fingers. "Your mother, Lady Whistledown, I'm sure," sheadded with a mischievous smile. "She does write about you rather a lot."
Her good humor was infectious, and Colin couldn't quite suppress his smile. "Penelope, it doesn't count if the only people who buy the book are the people I know."wWhy not?" Her lips twitched. "You know a lot of people. Why, if you onlycount Bridgertons—"
He grabbed her hand. He didn't know why, but he grabbed her hand. "Penelope, stop."
She just laughed. "I think Eloise told me that you have piles and piles of cousins as well, and—"wEnough," he warned. But he was grinning as he said it.
Penelope stared down at her hand in his, then said, "Lots of people will want to read about your travels.
Maybe at first it will only be because you're a well-known figure in London, but it won't take long before everyone realizes what a good writer you are. And then they'll be clamoring for more."wI don't want to be a success because of the Bridgerton name," he said.
She dropped bis hand and planted hers on her hips. "Are you even listening to me? I just told you that—"wWhat are you two talking about?" Eloise. Looking very, very curious.wNothing," they both muttered at the same time. Eloise snorted.wDon't insult me. It's not nothing. Penelope looked as if she might start breathing fire at any moment."wYour brother is just being obtuse," Penelope said.wWell, that is nothing new," Eloise said.wWait a moment!" Colin exclaimed.wBut what," Eloise probed, ignoring him entirely, "is he being obtuse about?"wIt's a private matter," Colin groundout.wWhich makes it all the more interesting," Eloise said.She looked to Penelope expectantly.wI'm sorry," Penelope said."I really can't say."wI can't believe it!" Eloise cried out."You're not going to tell me."wNo," Penelope replied, feeling rather oddly satisfied with herself,"I'm not."wI can't believe it," Eloise said again, turning to her brother."I can't believe it."