⋆𐙚₊ Birds Of A Feather ⋆˚⊹

April 15th, 2024 - WNBA Draft

Kate ⭐️

When the commissioner called my name I was partly shocked but also not. A little prior they had asked me to move to the end so I started to expect it. I had only gone to support Caitlin but I was hoping my name would be called to.

I got up and hugged my teammates and started to walk down to the stage. I passed her as I went down. She had been drafted to Caitlin's team right before me. I could slightly see her as I passed. Her sister cheered for me as she smiled to Jada behind me.

I waved to Caitlin and Coach Bluder before going up to take my pictures. Once I had completed my interview I went back to do media. Caitlin, Jada and Gabbie came back to see me.

"KATE!" I hear Jada say as I give the photographer a nod on the photos. "Hey Jades!" I say back. "You're a pro now girlie! I'm so happy for you!" She squeezes me so tight that I have to practically rip her off. "Thanks you Jada." I say laughing as we break apart.

"I'm so happy for you Kate. Genuinely you deserve this so much." Gabbie looks like she's about to cry. "Aw Gabs thanks." I tell her as we hug. I turned to Caitlin to already see her arms spread out.

"I always knew you had it in you Martin. Congrats." She tells me over my shoulder. "Guys this is insane you're basically the best of the best now! Like even more than at Iowa!" Jada told us. "Well it's all thanks to you obviously Jada." I tell her with a smirk.

"Wow guys Kate's trying to rizz me right now." She says before laughing. We all talk as we walk back in the banquet room. We drop Caitlin at her table before going to our seats.

When I pass her again she's turned talking to someone who I remember as one of her teammates. I look her outfit up and down before I rip my eyes away to respond to Jada.

Once the draft ends I stay behind to talk to some of the other draftees. "You guys go ahead. I'll Uber there later." I tell the girls as they leave. I got to know Dyaisha a little more since she'd also been picked to go to Vegas. She was from Syracuse so I hadn't talked to her much but she seemed nice and I knew from playing her that she had a strong game.

After that I got my Uber and headed to the party. When I get there I see Jada and Caitlin standing at a table with some other girls. I go up and tap Caitlin to get her attention. "Kate you're finally here! I was starting to get worried." She said and I gave her a laugh back.

Soon I notice a girl in a nice dress bringing drinks over. As she gets closer I realize it's Kailani. She sets them down and calls out for everyone to come get one. My face flattens as it empties. I bring my eyes to look at her as she picks the last one up off the tray.

"Oh sorry Kate. I guess only the best got them." She gave me a very obviously fake smile and Caitlin laughed. They both took the drinks and put them down before she locked eyes with me again. I had to stop myself from going over and pushing her against the table. I knew what she was doing but I wouldn't let her get to me tonight.

"Well I guess I'll go get my own." I say before giving Caitlin a look. "And that girl up there looks so good so I'll give my digits away while I'm at it." She rolled her eyes before letting out a laugh. I force a smile back to Kai before walking over to the bar.

When I made it, I sat next to the girl I'd been eyeing. I admired her red hair as the bartender brought her drink over. "Can I just have a whiskey please." I tell the woman. "Ooooo someone's celebrating!" I hear from beside me. I turn and stare into the green eyes next to me. "Wow you're Kate Martin." She says as she fully takes in my face. "Hey." I respond. "I'm Jules. I work for the Mercury." She smiles and I can't help but notice how perfect it is for her face. "Well it's nice to meet you Jules. As you know I'm Kate." She laughs and I send her a smile. "Would you wanna go sit somewhere and talk?" I ask her as she stares into my eyes. "Sure lemme just grab my bag."

She steps off the stool and stands almost the same height as me in her heels. She walked to a table and said something to another girl before laughing and coming back to me.

We sit and talk together for a while. I learned that she played soccer but that her older sisters was a basketball player which is what got her into it. She was their team photographer and also handled all of their social media. We talked for a while before she checked her phone. "Dang it's late and I have three meetings tomorrow for our new draftees. Could I maybe get your number?" Her eyes meet mine again and I smile.

"Sure I'll add it in." She hands me her phone and I add my number in with the name "Mysterious Blonde". When I give it back she looks at the name before sending a small giggle my way. "Bye Blondie" She says getting up. "Goodnight Red." I say winking as she blushes before going to get her friend.

I walk back over to the bar to get another drink before sitting at one of the tables. I check my phone to see that Jules followed me. I clicked on her account and scrolled through some of her pictures before returning the follow.

When I look back up in my direct path I see Caitlin sitting on a couch with Kai's head laying on her shoulder. She looked exhausted and Caitlin had an arm around her shoulder. I realized I had my brow furrowed and I quickly stopped it as I noticed her looking in my direction. I saw her start to drift asleep and went over to Caitlin.

"Your girlfriend looks pretty comfy." I say to Caitlin as she puts her phone down. "Kate stop." She responds before quietly chuckling. "She just seemed tired so I let her lay here. Her friend Ashton is gonna take her back to the hotel but I wanted to let her talk to more of the girls before they go back to Illinois."

"Well I'm gonna head back. Just try and be quiet when you get back." I say smiling. "Do you know where Gabbie and Jada are?" I ask her realizing I hadn't seen either of them in a hot minute. "They both left already because Jada got a little tipsy. Gabs said to tell you congrats again and that they are taking us out for breakfast tomorrow."

"Okay thanks Cait. Goodnight." I watch as she pushes a piece of Kai's hair out of her face. My stomach moved but I just pushed it off as being tired and slightly hungry. "Bye Kate" She smiled back as I turned to leave.

authors note 🎀heyy!! i really like this chapter but lmk what y'all think! i'm planning on showing a few povs of other main characters but im gonna start moving it along soon

authors note 🎀
heyy!! i really like this chapter but lmk what y'all think! i'm planning on showing a few povs of other main characters but im gonna start moving it along soon. i hope you guys like my oc and kate's chapters!

anyways have a wonderful day and remember to watch women's sports ❤️