𝟬𝟳․ Watching the Fireworks

CHAPTER SEVEN "Watching the fireworks together like kids

CHAPTER SEVEN
"Watching the fireworks together like kids."

New Year came around the corner, everyone was busy with family and celebrating it. Heejin was in her family house with the rest of her family quietly eating their last New Year's Eve meal, breakfast. Nobody was talking just the sound of utensils clanking on the plates and such. It was the same as the years before. Nothing new, just her coming back from Australia after 3 years.

Her father cleared his voice and everyone looked at him except Heejin. "This year was another year of success. Good work everyone. I hope next year will be the same. Heejin, welcome back home" She stopped and looked at her food that she barely ate out of. "I'm going back to my room, please excuse me." She quickly stood up and walked upstairs. Closing the door behind her, she walked up to her window. Staring through it, she watched some of her neighbors having fun outside. Playing in the snow. She wished her family was like that.

"You know you didn't have to be like this." She rolled her eyes, still looking through the window. Her sister sighed. "Mother wants me to tell me that there will be a party in the house soon at 1 pm." Right, there was always a New Year party in her house to celebrate this year's success, and hoping for more success next year. "Okay," was all she said. Her sister rolled her eyes before shutting the door behind her.

Her phone suddenly made a buzzing sound. She quickly took her phone into her hands and saw a message from her childhood best friend. Telling her he is at the front entrance. She quickly replied before changing into something warm and simple. She exited her bedroom and walked downstairs where the maids were getting ready for the annual New Year party. "Where are you going?" Her mother asked. Heejin didn't move or turn from her spot. "None of your business."

"Don't give me that attitude or else," her mother warned her. "You aren't going anywhere. There will be a party and you must attend." Heejin turned around. "Can't I miss one of the annual New Year parties?" Her mother raised her eyebrows "You may-" "I am going with Jaeyun," She quickly interpreted. Her mother sighed. "Fine, come home before the party ends." She turned back around and went out of the house. A smile appeared across her face as she saw her best friend.

Jaeyun gave her a warm smile as she walked towards him. Noticing he wasn't feeling well. Well, maybe feeling well wasn't the right words. More like he was feeling down. "What's wrong?" She asked. He looked at her. "Let's get out of here." She nodded and didn't ask any more questions as she knew asking more questions wouldn't do. They entered the car and he drove off to the destination. Heejin looked through the window as she waited.

"Where are we going?" She finally asked, turning her attention to Jaeyun who was driving. "Somewhere, anywhere but there," he answered. She hummed, wondering where he would take them. Once again there was a silence circling around them. "I know a place, but it is quite a drive," he breathed out. "How far?"

"Far enough for nobody, not even a soul to recognize us," he spoke. She looked at him, feeling quite excited to see this place he mentioned. She leaned back on the window with a light sigh watching the car drive past by the busy street of Seoul.

The drive went on and on until Heejin stopped counting the hours they had spent on the road. Glancing at the clock on the car radio, noticing it was almost midnight. She was about to welcome the new year with Jaeyun. It was something the two of them had done back then. Always full of hope that maybe the following year would make a move, one would make an old dream into reality, but as many moons and suns came nothing happened.

Maybe it wasn't just Jaeyun who possess a bad experience with the new year, maybe Heejin too felt such loathing for the holiday. About half an hour into the trance, the view by her window shifted from grassy plains to small houses. Each was lit by fairy lights as families sat in their chairs looking up at the sky having conversations with one another. Trees stood from wherever her eyes gazed, something that was quite a rare sight in the city. And the skies, it was surrounded by white sparkles reflected in her eyes.

Heejin looked through the windshield window confused. "Where are we?" Jaeyun glanced at her with a small smile crept upon his lips. "This is a place I would always go when I need a break...I brought you here with me because I thought you would like it and I knew I made the right choice." He kept driving, and never stopped even once to take a break. He just went straight ahead until there was no more to drive at. Finally, they made it to a dead end, where right in front of them was a cliff, which beyond she could see a railing protecting from the other side from going forward than they should. Looking towards him, she raised her eyebrows when she saw he was even taking in the scene. A confusing sign that even he had never been to where they were currently at.

He then exited the car first and noticed she wasn't following. He mouthed, "Come let's go out." While signaling her to come outside. She let out a chuckle before unseatbelted herself and exited the car. Feeling the breeze hit her face, she felt refreshed. Walking towards her best friend and standing side by side next to him as both of them looked at the scenario in front of them. "This is beautiful," she breathed out. He hummed in response, agreeing to her words.

Moments later in the silence, they suddenly heard fireworks, making her flinch signaling them it was the New Year. He chuckled at her wincing from the loud noises. "You didn't change." She raised her eyebrows. "What do you mean?" "I will be back, don't go anywhere." She rolled her eyes. "It's not like I could go anywhere." Watching him run back to the car, she turned back to the fireworks watching more go up. Suddenly, she felt something was in her ear, and quickly looked at Jaeyun. Music was suddenly playing. Realizing it was headphones, she smiled. "Thank you," she thanked him. He nods before turning back to the sky.

Watching the fireworks go up, they sat down together on the road in each other's comfort even if they were centimeters apart from each other. Before going back to the city to their own reality.

 Before going back to the city to their own reality

© 2024 RGYUITARZ. all right reserved