Huangshan, Zhōnggúo Term of the Pike - Healer's Moon

Swan's Pace, Sojourn of the Starwort, at the Firefly Pass

Run 308 after the First Cataclism

Watching the broad smile on Simone's face, YiJun wished he was as thrilled as her. It was a while since he'd last visited the Sickle Moon Sect - the Lunar turn of the Run, perhaps? - but at first sight, nothing had changed.

Still the same peaceful, quiet haven he'd run off to, when in need of soothing. His father's death had marred it somewhat, despite having happened on the village at the foot of the mountain, during harvest season. He'd fled there on occasion, when in need of a break from sect politics, something he'd never voice outloud, at least not within hearing range of his wife. YiJun had known, though, and understood, because he, too, had experienced the overwhelming demands his mother tended to place upon sect members, just to ensure hers was the best, the most successful, most prolific.

It had worked in his favour, though. The only reason she'd let him and Daejin attend the Academy of Occult and Conjuring Arts had been the chance to gather information other sects might not have as easy access to. Not everyone passed the Academy's preliminary tests, no matter how talented they were. One thing his mother was right about - the Western branches of the Confederation were hypocrites. They proscribed witchcraft, but a fair amount of it was needed to pass those tests. Or were they really convinced that using magic the way the Academy students did was any different from the spells, curses and potions devised by witches?

Shaking his head, he hastened his pace to join the others. Zach narrowed his eyes at the sights before him - the gable-roofed houses, the curved wooden bridges, the ponds, the trees that seemed to grow in odd, aesthetically pleasing shapes. He watched the flocks of people that gathered here and there, discussing whatever subjects they mastered, practising martial arts, some with weapons, some without. Everything looked orderly and highly functional, which elicited a smirk from both YiJun and Daejin, aware this was a show their mother put up for the sake of the Doyen. And maybe the girl rumoured as a genius.

He stole another glance of Simone, who walked so close to Zhang WeiLan as to seem glued to him. For once, she seemed at a loss - words escaped her, so did the extensive amount of knowledge she kept in her head. Her lips were slightly parted, coloured by whatever balm she'd applied, glistening with it. Her eyes were wide, round like saucers as she struggled to take in every view, every detail. WeiLan talked, instead - he, who was often quiet and pensive, rarely contributing to conversations - and she listened, nodding at the amount of information he kept feeding her, his speech a spell she couldn't break free from.

Come to think of it, Zhang WeiLan and Simone made the perfect pair. Both enjoyed studying, researching - learning was their passion, as was extricating the information they amassed, pulling it apart as they dissected facts from fiction, coming to new conclusions, unexpected theories, breakthroughs that others may never have thought of. Word around the Academy was that students and lecturers alike flocked to the classes they took together, because they were certain to be offered something of a spectacle, the moment those two started expanding on their knowledge. They boosted each other and visibly loved every minute of it.

But judging by the manner in which they cast long, covert looks at each other, a penchant for learning and improving their skills wasn't all that passed between them. YiJun could still remember a time when Simone carried a torch for him, the girl being brave enough to confess her feelings. He'd put her down gently - at least he believed so - and that had been that. But the close proximity they'd shared got lost along the the way, Simone gradually fluctuating towards his brother. Kwan Daejin had become her confidant, after YiJun's fall from grace. He'd experienced some bitterness about it - still did - but had compensated for it by maintaining the same behaviour towards her.