Chapter 5

We went back to The Base, waiting for things to die down before leaving to meet with Artemis at a property on the outskirts of the city.

Arriving, it was much different than I anticipated. I expected a run-down building, but it was a larger gated property that sat at the front of a dense area of greenery.

Parker followed the instructions already provided by Artemis, leaving us in a room, mostly windows, giving a sweet glimpse of the green beauty that lay behind us. A garden, clearly well kept, but much to be hidden. I don't want to know what secrets those plants have heard.

I stood at the center of the room, my mind racing with questions and apprehensions. Why was I singled out for this mission? What did the Artemis know about me that warranted such a specific request? Anxiously, I tapped my foot on the ground.

"Chill out," Parker Whispered from across the room, gluing me to the ground

The door swung open, breaking the tense air as Artemis stepped into the room—a man of imposing stature and unwavering confidence. His eyes bore into mine with a piercing intensity that sent a shiver down my spine.

His hand reached for mine carefully, bringing them to his lips. My very first impression of Artemis.

Artemis cuts a striking figure wherever he goes, his presence commanding attention effortlessly. Standing tall with an athletic build, he moves with a fluid grace that hints at both strength and agility. His eyes, a piercing shade of green reminiscent of deep forests, seem to hold secrets.

I knew he was trouble.

Even his demeanor. Despite the sincere and charming gesture, he meant business. I couldn't very well decipher his track. I knew he had a mind that worked like mine. Nobody seeks out people to do their dirty work unless you've got better things to do. And he certainly had better things to be doing.

His gaze fixed on me until Parker cleared his throat, drawing back his attention. "This is my partner, Agent Scaltro."

"I requested Agent Maestra. I thought you were the best." Artemis scowls back at Parker. I shifted to face him, giving an encouraging nod.

Parker stepped forward, his tone guarded. "Why her specifically? We operate as a team," he spoke firmly. "She is the best at what she does. My job is to keep everyone else off her back and communications going through her earpiece. Her job is to get the target." Parker explains

"I understand your concern, but this mission requires someone with Maestra's unique talents."

Parker crossed his arms confidently. He knew how important this mission would be to the success of his separation from The Agency, and Artemis wasn't making it easy. "We have stipulations. Her safety is our priority. We need full disclosure of the mission parameters and assurance of her safe return."

Artemis nodded thoughtfully, his demeanor unyielding yet respectful of his demands. "Agreed. You'll receive all the necessary details. Her safety is non-negotiable."

He walked to a set of double doors and opened one, signaling for me to follow him outside.

"You've earned quite a reputation, Agent Maestra," Artemis remarked, his voice smooth and measured. "They say you're a master of infiltration and precision."

I took my hand up, stopping Parker from following. This time alone would be crucial. It seems as though Artemis has no interest in using Parker as a tool in this mission and little did he know that Jamie was listening not too far away. Parker's expression showed nothing but concern, but he trusted that I would navigate it well. Despite the uncomfortable challenge that we've taken on, desperate times call for desperate measures.