Chapter 1: Demons

It was a cool and windy day. The sky was cloudy without a hint of sunshine. No one was seen on this gloomy afternoon. Yet, two best friends, Davy Filler and Justin Thorn, took this opportunity to enjoy themselves in the playground. After all, the summer had been quite harsh and days like this were rare.

Swinging and laughing, Davy wanted to go home. Despite his friend refusing and holding him back, Davy went to his mom and said he was done for the day. "But we haven't even been on the slides yet!" Justin protested. Davy agreed to play on the slides for a bit, and both their mothers went back to gossiping.

While Justin was climbing the ladder, Davy heard some rustling in the bushes. He glanced behind, but nothing was seen. Justin called from above, letting Davy know he was going to slide down. Davy really did not pay attention, as all his focus was on the bushes.

More rustling in the bushes, and Davy was starting to get anxious. Justin slid down, and a cat ran out of the bushes with a loud yowl. Davy sighed to himself as he made his way back to the slides. He reached the slides, but Justin was gone. Davy figured he must be somewhere else in the playground.

He looked everywhere for Justin. The roundabout, the swings, the see-saws, but he was nowhere to be found. Davy, being a young lad, panicked as he ran to his mother, yelling about what he just witnessed.

Tears started pouring out of his eyes, not being able to find Justin. His mother calmed him down, and told him he was probably hiding. Davy took a few deep breaths as all three of them went to find Justin.

It was now 5 in the evening. All three of them called for Justin to come out, but he was not seen. Now, his mother had fat tears rolling down her cheeks. They checked each ride, everywhere. But Justin was simply gone, vanished.

Somewhere in his heart, Davy knew that this might have been the last time he would have ever seen his best friend.

My life flashed before my eyes.

I was crying my eyes out as I trembled in an unseen corner, hiding from the entity that stomped around outside, looking for me. I had my hand over my mouth, muffling my cries.

The entity was tall, completely covered in a shadow. I could see it sometimes, and other times, I couldn't.

"Winter..." The entity called out in a sweet yet terrifying tone. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly as a new set of tears flowed down my already stained cheeks. My blade was safely stored in my jeans pocket, urging me to let it come out and spill some fresh blood. I removed my hand covering my mouth and let out a deep exhale. I wiped my tears and set my hand down on the floor to stand up. What I didn't notice was that there was a sharp metal right where I placed my hand. I let out a yelp and then smacked my palm over my mouth, realizing what I had just done.

The entity stopped in its tracks. It slowly turned its head toward me and I stood frozen in my spot, too terrified to move away.

"Found you."

I ran for my life.

551 words

-StarLord