ii: we could have had it all

When Itachi came back, Sasuke wanted to tell him all about the stories of his new friend.

"I'm home!" Itachi shouted from the genkan of their large house. He peered through the opened arch of the entryway, waiting for that usual excited running from the living room every time he came home from a grueling mission that exhausted every bit of his being. Instead of his little brother's tiny head poking from one of the sliding doors of their home, Itachi was greeted with his mother, who was wiping her hands on her lilac apron. The piece of garment was a gift from both Uchiha brothers during one Mother's Day a couple of years ago.

Seeing it as a welcome home thawed the inhumane ice encasing his heart, erasing the persona he had to wear to mercilessly assassinate a rogue shinobi who defected from their village.

"Hi, Mom," Itachi breathed with a gentle smile.

Mikoto was a beautiful woman from a branch family in the Uchiha compound. So far from the family tree, the talented kunoichi was deemed as the perfect partner for the then heir of such an influential clan. It was a successful marriage, to say the least. The woman couldn't deny that she was apprehensive with the union at first, having to start her career as one of the more promising kunoichi in their village, but through time, she learned to love being married to Fugaku. The man was attentive to her needs, understanding of her requests and thoughts, and was overall an amazing husband. One of the blessings she received from the marriage was standing at the genkan, taking off his sandals and free from the blood he spilled. Mikoto smiled at her returning eldest son, the pride of her family and the future leader of possibly the strongest clan in the village. More than that, he was just a boy, her baby boy who had to grow up too fast. The least Mikoto could do was to make him feel like a little kid again by making a feast featuring most of his favorite foods.

"Welcome home, Itachi," Mikoto warmly enunciated. "I trust it went well?" Seeing as you're unscathed and uninjured, were her lingering thoughts.

Though, she wasn't subtle enough because Itachi caught on to the motherly way she scrutinized his figure — narrowed eyes and trailing from the top of his head down to the soles of his feet. He chuckled under his breath, carefully putting his outdoor sandals on the rack right beside their door. Itachi placed a pair of fuzzy slippers resembling a black cat, courtesy of his baby brother, on the smoother platform in front of him. While putting them on, he answered good-naturedly, "It did. Though some of my teammates had some injuries, it's better than going back with some casualties. What are you making, Mom? It smells delicious."

"Oh!" Mikoto lit up. "I made your favorites!"

"Thank you, Mom," he smiled.

"You deserve it, Itachi."