From Dust to Ashes

FLU AFFECTS EUROPE, FEAR OF ANOTHER

SPANISH FLU PANDEMIC SPREAD LIKE WILDFIRE

In his appearance to the press Thursday morning, the prime minister calmed the public and told them that the fear of another global pandemic is far from being fact. He stated that the scientific community has pointed out that there are no factors that would contribute to the mutation of the influenza virus thus preventing another deadly strain from causing another case that would cause the same flu pandemic of 1918.

The pandemic, that happened almost a hundred years ago, caused widespread victims and casualty all over the world with infected people making up 500 million and totaling to over 50-100 million death (1-3%) in the world's population–

Geoff Payne placed the over-read newspaper back on his desk where it has been sitting for a two days now. He's been expecting a phone call all day and on that sunny yet unpleasant afternoon, the phone did ring.

"Hello?" he asked. The caller replied and Geoff nodded involuntarily as if the caller could see him at all. "Yes," said Geoff grimly. "But she's fine and she asked me to tell you not to bother coming home from the trip...yes, I see...so you've sealed the deal with them then? Ah, that's wonderful...should I tell her you're coming back from Johannesburg?"

___________________

 The door creaked open and Zayn removed his attention from the sleeping figure on the bed. Niall came in, giving a comforting smile. "How is she?" he asked, stopping on the edge of the bed. Zayn just shook his head and turned back to Perrie, heavily breathing and flushed red.

"Zayn, Master Geoff said you should rest for a while–"

"I'm not leaving her," said Zayn. "Not until she's alright..."

"That wasn't a suggestion, Zayn," the voice said through the door. Geoff entered the room. "Ruth's feeling better now and Eleanor can attend to Perrie. You're worrying too much. Now, go to your quarters and rest for a while..."

"But–"

"Don't make me repeat myself, Zayn," said Geoff, his tone was firm a little bit scary for Niall. He never sounded like that before (not that he has heard, of course). "I know you're worried about her and we are as well. But don't give her the guilt of tiring you out because you didn't leave her side. Take a rest...for her sake."

Zayn wanted to say something again – something to make Geoff realize that all his thoughts right now were made of Perrie – but he shut his lips and nodded. His hand grazed over Perrie's warm ones and he muttered, "I'll go when Eleanor comes."

"You know I'm telling you this for both your sakes, Zayn," said Geoff. "I'm not trying to pull you away from her. And I won't ever; even though I can, I won't because there's no reason to. She's a lovely woman and you deserve someone like that."

Geoff turned around, making a quick glance at Niall. The stare, whether intended or not, made Niall follow Geoff outside the bedroom. The Irish lad closed the door behind him, hearing soft sobs from inside before it completely closed.

"Danielle asked for you," said Geoff.

"Me, sir?" Niall looked surprised. "Does she want anything to eat?"

"She just ate, Niall. Danielle said she wanted to talk to you...alone."

"Alone?" Niall tried to play innocent. "I wonder what this is about..."

They were silent for a moment, the swinging pendulum of the grandfather clock the only sound besides the maids and hall boys rushing past. Geoff adjusted the glasses he was wearing and cleared his throat. "Is there anything you're not telling me, Niall?" he asked. "Something I should know but you or maybe not just you but Danielle as well are keeping secret for my sake?"