Chapter One: The Good News

𝕸𝖆𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖜 𝟕:𝟐𝟏
"ℕ𝕠𝕥 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕤𝕒𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕦𝕟𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕖, 𝕃𝕠𝕣𝕕, 𝕃𝕠𝕣𝕕, 𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕕𝕠𝕞 𝕠𝕗 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟; 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕙𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕕𝕠𝕖𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕠𝕗 𝕞𝕪 𝔽𝕒𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕟 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟."

"Have you heard the good news?" Paul asked a passerby, handing them a leaflet.

The passerby just took the leaflet without looking at it, likely going to throw it out soon enough. The city danced by Paul. It was like a k-drama or anime. The city was calm and quiet yet populated with a nice amount of background noise.

Paul was frank, slim, with short black hair and brown eyes, and looked like almost everyone in Korea.

He was a Christian, but oh, he did like the attention he got from elders at church by doing missionary work. It was nice. He was more or less a shut-in otherwise, so it was the only way he knew to get praise or even interact with people full stop.

He believed in Christianity on principle, applied it to daily life, and so on, but liked the feeling he got from volunteering. And had to connect everything to be some kind of grand plan or scheme to seem important. It romanticised what mild living he had.

After another hour or two, he left the small stand set up by his church and left for home. The stand was essentially just a big parasol with a small cart of literature. And as always, he was unsuccessful in getting converts.

He walked along a smooth, paved path, leading up to his apartment building. It was concrete and spanned for felt like miles. It was all clear, with trees and small flowers dotting the landscape. He admired a tree as he passed it, but as he wasn't paying attention, he then almost slipped on his shoelace, and so he bent down to tie it.

As he did that, suddenly, he heard a noise like something being dropped in front of him. His ears perked up, and he stood to view the object. He walked over to it and picked it up. It was a book, a notebook, more specifically. So he read the words on the front and flipped through it to see if he could find the owner.

"Deathnote?" Paul thought aloud to himself. "Any person's name when written in this book shall die. If no cause or time of death is specified, the person will always die in 40 seconds of a heart attack. The use of this book prevents someone from going to Hell or Heaven, and instead, the user will go to nothingness. What is this?"

Paul was creeped out by the book, but he held it in his armpit and walked back home. He lived alone in a small apartment his uncle owned. Though people tended to claim Paul paid for it to save face.

He unlocked the door and walked into the apartment. He hung up his coat and went into his room, putting his bag on the floor by his bed and loading up his computer.

He did some light reading of his bible. He marked off some passages like the intellectual he aspired to be and sits back, the office chair sliding back a bit and staring at the ceiling.

He goes back to a marked page of a different book about the history and attitudes of certain things as pertaining to Christianity and reads up on where he left off on the sin of murder.

"Notably, there are situations in which Murder is permitted. Such as when defending oneself or others from unjust killing, execution for crimes like murder and idolatry, and I'm warfare." He read in his mind.

Bored, he turned on the little TV he had in his room and saw a breaking news segment, which perked his interest.

"A woman called Mary Park has been held hostage by her abusive boyfriend Jeong Kim in their Seoul apartment today, and Jeong is ..." The announcer said, Paul not listening beyond that