Chapter 36

Spencer drove three hours on a fucking whip to come see me and now he's in my hometown

He's been in my house where he got to see my childhood bedroom.

He met my cats and both of my parents before I dragged him out of the house to avoid an awkward dinner with them, only for me to drop him off at his hotel about twenty minutes away.

Now though, it's the next night and we're meeting Lauren and Beckham for some putt-putt, but we're stopping to get ice cream before since we're doing the after dark special the park is doing for the summer.

Lauren has been calling it a double date all afternoon since we made these plans, but I keep telling her this isn't a double date since Spencer didn't actually ask me out on a date.

Instead, Lauren had invited Beckham down for a long weekend as soon as I told her Spencer was coming down. She knew I'd appreciate the support of not having to be alone with him and her not having to be the third wheel. She had even gone ahead and planned something for us to do tonight since it's Saturday and Beckham would be going home tomorrow.

Spencer is leaving on Tuesday if I don't chase him away before then.

It's been just over twenty-four hours since he showed up on my doorstep and things have seemed fine, but I still think it's too soon to tell how it'll go between us.

He is however on his way to pick me up so we can meet Lauren and Beckham at the frozen yogurt parlor not far from where the mini golf place is.

Lauren had been messaging me every few minutes earlier to pack a bag to go back to the hotel with him since it'll be so late when we're done with mini golf and whatever else the boys and her wrap me into.

I've been blowing her off in a sense, knowing she means well and what she's saying makes sense, it's just a bigger step to take for me and I'm not sure if I can handle being in a small space with Spencer, alone, with really only a bed for us to be on.

However, I did pack a bag...just in case I feel up to staying once we're done, but it's up in the air right now.

Lauren and Beckham have been staying together at his hotel, the iconic and luxurious Peabody Hotel where he booked the presidential suite for them this weekend, giving them time and privacy to be together and space for her to get away from her parents.

Their hotel is conveniently across the street from where Spencer is staying at the Canopy by Hilton Memphis Downtown Beale Street so we could carpool, but I'd still be driving over there so Spencer and I could do whatever without having to order a car.

Spencer texted me about twenty minutes ago that he was on his way, so he should be here any minute and the thought has one of my hands reaching up to fiddle with the necklace he gave me before I left Blacksburg to come home.

I haven't stopped messing with it since he put it on me, it's become my new item to play with since I hardly touch my rings now when my anxiety spikes.

My eyes land on my weekender bag that's perched atop my perfectly made bed thanks to the anxiety of possibly staying with a guy who is not my boyfriend, in his hotel room. I've been tossing the idea up in the air all day and the more I thought about it, I felt myself enjoy the idea of spending some time with Spencer away from prying eyes of my parents and Lauren, but the ease I felt spiked my anxiety for not being worried about what is happening between us.