Chapter 12

"Let's go." he held my hand as we walked out of my unit. It's Saturday, and we are going to go to the mall like we agreed last night.

"They wanted to go with us, but I told them not to." he said, referring to our friends.

I agree that we can't be with our friends today. Clara was a bit upset, but recovered later on when Ram told her that they were going to go somewhere instead, with the others, of course. She was so happy that she forgot that she was upset.

I let go of Red's hand when the elevator opened. The comfort in his eyes disappeared and was replaced by confusion that, seconds later was replaced by sadness.

"I'm sorry. I'm not comfortable when there are other people." I can't look at him, I was just looking ahead while we were walking.

"It's okay. I understand." I can't see his face, but his tone somehow comforted me. Of all people, I know Red is one of those who will always understand me. He always understands me, something that some people in my past failed to do, especially my father. They failed to understand me, that even I, at some point, failed to understand myself.

"Hey..." I felt him held my hand the moment we entered his car. "It's okay. You don't need to feel bad." he held my face and made me face him. "I told you. We are going to do this at your own pace, right? I'm not rushing you. If you want to keep us a secret, then maybe I can deal with that." umiling ako sa kanya.

"I don't want to keep you a secret." I firmly, voice is slightly shaking. "Hindi ka dapat tinatago, Red." my voice shook, trying to control my emotions. "I just want to take it slow because I'm not used to this. And I'm scared of people's jugement."

Some incident in my past flashed in my mind.

"I know, baby. Please, let's not talk about this now. It's okay. I'm fine. We are fine." he wiped the side of my eyes with his thumb, trying to dry the tears that wanted to fall but couldn't. He took my hand and planted a soft kiss on it.

"I don't care if you don't hold my hand in public. The fact that you are with me is more than enough. Mas sobra pa 'to sa hiniling ko, Rain." I hugged him.

"Tyaka, nahahawakan naman kita kapag tayong dalawa lang." napapikit ako nang mariin dahil sa sinabi niya. Iba ang naiisip ko. Bwesit.

"Tara na nga!" he started the engine while laughing. We drove off after awhile.

I was slightly swaying my head to the music that he played.

"You are going to go home to Tagaytay next weekend, right?" I stopped moving my head and turned to him.

"Yup. I need to go home. I miss Story." I smiled thinking about my sister's adorable face.

She video called me last night while I was in Red's condo and I can't believe the first words that came out from her mouth. "Are you with your friends, kuya?" she asked while jumping excitedly, hands on the table. The phone is probably placed on it.

"They're not here." her smiling face turned into a frown, looking disappointed. I chuckled, but stopped when I realized that she asked about my friends first before asking how I was. I pursed my lips.

"Story, did you call kuya just to ask me about my friends? You didn't even ask me how I am doing." I sadly said, pretending to sulk. I heard Red chuckled beside me.

"Of course not! I called because I miss you, Kuya." I didn't answer. I just looked at her. She's smiling, but looking guilty of something.

"Why doesn't it seem like you miss me?" I asked in a soft voice. Ngumuso siya at kinuha ang cellphone sa pinagpapatungan. She moved closer to the phone and gently kissed it. I can't help but laugh because of her cuteness.