Someone's turning eighteen

Julia

Jace and I spent whatever time together when we weren't working. If he was working, and I wasn't, I hung out with Charlie and Jas. It took time for Charlie's black eyes to fade and her nose to heal. She also started therapy sessions with Jayden to help with the trauma she endured while finding a job at a PR firm.

Odin kept Casp busy so he couldn't see Charlie. Of course, Casp wasn't happy about it. I couldn't blame him since Jace and my parents did the same thing. Eventually, I talked to Odin and Sofie about letting Casp talk to Charlie as friends. I reminded Casp of his parents' rule about not dating until he was eighteen.

So, I did what any good cousin would do. I enlisted Jas to babysit Casp when he visited Charlie. Hey, someone needs to think ahead and deter any issues.

That was most of the summer until my eighteenth birthday hit. My parents woke up with confetti cannons and party favors. Why? Didn't anyone tell them you don't wake a sleeping bear? I promptly threw a shoe at them.

Since I didn't have to work, I wanted to sleep in. My parents didn't get the memo.

Wasn't it enough they were throwing me a party at the park under the pavilion later? Did they need to cause a ruckus in the morning? Ugh.

I dragged my butt out of bed, emptied my bladder, and shuffled to the coffeemaker. I need coffee before I deal with their shenanigans.

I sat at the table and sipped my coffee when my dad let Jace into the house. Jace greeted me with a kiss on the head before sitting beside me. I just waved and sipped my coffee.

"Still not a morning person?" Jace asked.

"Not when my parents wake up," I grumbled.

Jace chuckled.

Dad brought plates of food to the table. "Ignore, my grouch. She has never been a morning person. She would scowl at me as a baby until I changed her diaper and gave her a bottle."

"Dad!" I groaned.

"Pumpkin, you were the only baby that hated getting up. If I didn't wake up, you would miss your feedings. And don't forget about taking off when you were buck naked before your bath."

"Ugh!"

"I got pictures of you in the tub, and I can show everyone tonight."

"Don't you dare!"

My dad chuckled.

Mom brought the rest of the food and juice to the table. "Ignore your father. Maddie will lend me his baby photos of him wearing cowboy boots, a hat, a holster, and nothing else if he shows your pictures to anyone."

Jace chuckled.

"My ma would never!" Dad exclaimed.

"Want to bet?" Mom smirked.

"Fine. No baby pictures. But you are eighteen now. That means acting like an adult." Dad pointed at me.

"I do act like an adult," I said, giving Dad a strange look.

"That also means acting responsibly with your boyfriend." Dad gestured between Jace and me.

I rolled my eyes while I drank my coffee. It was too early for this talk. Mom sent Dad to rouse Jas so he would leave me alone. Thank you, Mom. I didn't want Dad to embarrass Jace. Although I doubt it matters. Jace was eating breakfast, having ignored Dad.

Dad returned to the table with Jas. Jas slid onto a chair and put a pancake on her plate before buttering it and drizzling syrup.

"So, your party is all set at the park. Romeo and Sage incorporated things you like," Dad said.