Chapter 3

Monday came and despite the internal back and forth that continued even as she walked to the church, Brooklyn's decision was no surprise. Father Mathias was already sitting on the steps when she turned onto the street. He smiled when he saw her.

For a priest, he really is pretty hot, Brooklyn thought as she approached him. She shook the thought away with horror, reminding herself that he was the last person she should look at in that way for multiple reasons.

"Good morning, Brooklyn."

The way he said her name made her blush. It took a moment for her to compose herself enough to reply. "Good morning. I'm sorry I'm late."

"That's quite alright. I would like for you to try to come inside today."

"Can't we just stay out here?" Brooklyn's eyes briefly drifted to the doors that made her think of a yawning beast's mouth—seemingly asleep and uninterested, but ready to devour you if you got too bold and too close.

"We could, but I'm afraid we'd end up quite wet." He looked up to the sky to make his point.

Brooklyn followed his gaze and saw that the clouds were dark and heavy. Even the air was thick with humidity and promised rain. She twisted the cuff of her sweater as she weighed her options.

"I assure you; you will be safe. Nothing bad will happen." The priest spoke slowly, his voice filled with such palpable conviction and concern for her welfare that Brooklyn couldn't help but believe him.

She nodded slowly and followed Father Mathias inside. It was a little easier than the last time. Still, the smell made her stomach clench, and the giant crucifix that hung behind the altar was disconcerting. It had no place in such a tiny church and made the space feel smaller and bigger all at the same time. Brooklyn looked away from it and stayed close to the priest to draw on the comfort she found in his presence.

"We'll go to my office. I think you'll feel most comfortable there." And he was right. Aside from the pictures of various saints hanging on the walls and the smell that seemed to accompany most houses of worship, one could pretend they weren't inside a church. The room was plain, and the two small windows oddly lacked the expected rounded or pointed tops. It was enough to ease her anxiety to a manageable level.

Father Mathias went to sit behind his desk and she sat across from him, her hands clasped together tightly as if they could keep her from coming apart.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm okay. I think."

Father Mathias was silent, and Brooklyn knew he was giving her time to relax. His obvious patience eliminated any notion of pressure, and she was grateful for the time and space to settle. Brooklyn took a final deep breath and met his gaze, signaling she was ready.

"Are you able to tell me where your dislike for the church came from?" he asked gently.