030, cheerful

CHAPTER THIRTY: CHEERFUL

     "YOU SEEM CHEERFUL," Luce observed, her head tilted as she looked up from the file she'd been reading.

Anthony didn't answer, just smiled and continued bouncing Delilah in his arms. He hadn't stopped smiling since he woke up, and the grin on his face was making his cheeks hurt.

"Why are you so happy, Kid?" she asked,  placing a hand on her hip.

"It's a nice day," Anthony said, his smile getting bigger. "It's sunny, and warm, and there's no clouds."

Luce eyed him, her brow furrowed. "Are you high?

Anthony shook his head, his eyes on the baby. "No, I'm not high."

"Mmm," she hummed, not believing him. "Then why are you smiling like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you're stoned," Luce answered. "Or just got laid..." Her sentence trailed off, and she stared at him.

"I didn't get laid," Anthony lied, his cheeks pink.

"Bullshit."

"I didn't!"

She started laughing, and the baby began giggling along with her. "Mhm, so that's why Val was smiling like that, too."

Anthony's face went red, and he shook his head. "No."

"You are the worst liar I've ever met," she said, rolling her eyes.

"I'm not lying."

Before she could make fun of him again, Delilah raised her arm and started giggling, and he could've sworn she was pointing and laughing at him.

"You're laughing at me, aren't you, Lilah?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at her. He looked up at Luce. "She looks like Aaron but she's mean like you."

"I know, I'm so proud of her," Luce said, grinning at her daughter. Delilah giggled again before grabbing at the chain around Anthony's neck.

"At least she's cute and mean," Anthony said, narrowing his eyes at the older woman. "You're just mean."

"Mm, I love you too."

"Whatever," he huffed as the baby in his arms patted his cheek. "Your mom is a meanie, Lilah, don't forget that."

Luce just smiled at him before going back to the file she had been reading.

He understood why he was suspicious, he was terrible at hiding his emotions, but he was so happy he didn't even care. He'd felt like he was floating since last night, and he never wanted this feeling to end.