Prologue

757 WORDS (SHORT CHAPTER)

How do you prevent something like this from happening again? The sky turned so vibrant with colour, but was deadly upon touch. Many died that day, but I survived. It was purely coincidental that I was hanging out in my parent's bunker that night. They were rich people. I didn't remember much but a glimpse of the sky before darkness. When I awoke, the bunker's roof was chewed up and my body ached from pain. Heat tried to push out my body. I pulled myself from what looked like a crater. Nothing was there, everything was gone, with the occasional stones flying up into the sky.

The ground was rocky and dry, with nothing populating it for miles and miles. It seemed like an ocean, which stretched forever. Of course, some pieces of debris were scattered around the place. Broken car doors, some tire rims, small walls of bricks. I've seen it all. Everything but another human, at this point I was convinced no others existed.

I have no idea what's happening now, and I don't know what can happen next. I'm so bored now that I even write, it takes my mind off things. Never thought of myself as a diary person, but here we are anyways. All I managed to salvage from the bunker was a dozen notebooks, a camera, and a bag full of supplies, which I haven't touched. Ever since that day I have not felt hungry or dehydrated at all. Which was concerning but it wasn't like I could do anything about it.

Every so often, I would arrive at a small stone I could sit on. It determined how often I took breaks. I was trying to find a way out. Sometimes, I held my pen and notebook, of which the front of my notebook had my name "Axel" written on it. Very poorly though, my handwriting was never good. I just can't imagine how a few days ago, I was sitting in class and staring out the window. If only I had my phone now, I wouldn't be bored out of my mind. It was still occasionally interesting though. Everything now looked like it came out of a movie. Random rocks I could take pictures of were floating into the large sky. Ever since that day, the sky had remained dark.

I thought nothing could change, until one day I stumbled upon an old door which looked beat up. The wood was peeling off the unsteady foundation of the door. From one side, the opening of the doorway looked normal and led to the other side. However, if you looked from the other side, it seemed to have a bright light illuminating from the doorway.

"I guess there's nothing better to do, huh?" I spoke. Before putting my hand onto the doorframe, trying to look through the light and see what was happening on the other side. I pulled it back after stabbing my finger into the nail.

"Glad to see my pain receptors are still working." I muttered. I feel like I had to talk to myself to keep myself sane. I placed my hand back down but made sure that my fingers wouldn't suffer the same outcome again. With curiosity, I placed my other hand through the light. The temperature felt quite cool on the other side. It was a big step though, since it was always humid and warm after the incident.

I stepped into the door to take a glance at the other side of the door. It felt like stepping into a house with air conditioning on a warm sunny day. I looked through the door and it seemed like it led to the world before the incident. There were trees and homes, which replaced the barren dry ground. At least everything looked normal. Better than staying in the humid weather forever, right?

I decided to walk through, with the door slamming behind me. Now I've ended up in this new reality, or was it a new timeline? Everything seemed normal at first, until I walked into a random convenience store. I've noticed that people don't notice me, as in they can't really see me, so I was pretty much a real ghost. 

Anyways, that's pretty much it. That's all I remember from last week. I forgot everything else after walking through that interdimensional portal disguised as a door. However, there was one thing I remember, I had to find out what the heck was happening, and fast because I was starting to go crazy.