1 - Emilia.

Small heath, Birmingham - 1919
Today felt like any other day. I was wearing my usual work attire - a navy skirt that went to my ankles, a simple white shirt, and my black boots. I only owned a small house in small heath, but it was the best I could afford. Before exiting my home, I took one last look at myself in the small mirror in my landing.

I had brown eyes and curly brown hair that fell just past my shoulders. My skin had a warm complexion and I had faint freckles on my face. I carefully smoothed out my shirt before I left. I closed the door behind me. I had got used to the smell of smoke and the constant chatter of people - it was home. I began my walk along the pavement, avoiding any mud so that I wouldn't get dirty. Today had felt warmer than usual - summer was approaching. I nodded at those I passed, seeing familiar faces that I'd grown to know over the year I'd lived here. Id moved to Birmingham a year ago.

Before I moved, I had lived in Bridgnorth with my Mother, father, and sister. I loved it there. It was a beautiful town full of caring people I'd grown to know and love. I would often help my mother sew and paint - or I'd enjoy reading in our garden. That was until the war started, and my father left to fight. My once beautiful town became empty. We prayed that my father lived, and stayed hopeful of his return. But he did not. My mother received a telegram of the dreadful news - she was distraught. My father was dead. Only a month after the war had finished, my sister moved to London. I had stayed with my mother to look after her. Yet, part of me longed to leave too - to get away from the place I no longer found happiness in. My mother could see this. So she urged me to leave and go to Birmingham.

And so I did. I often thought of my life before the war as I walked through the streets of the place I now called home. On my usual walk to work, I passed the Garrison. My friend Grace, who I'd met when I first moved here, worked there and I usually visited her on my way back home. I continued my walk. I worked at a printing press for newspapers. The pay wasn't too bad, but recently there was a rumour that the place was going to shut down. As I approached the building, I noticed some of my coworkers stood outside. Noticing me, my friend and colleague, Amber, smiled at me and beckoned me over.

"Whats all the commotion?" I asked her.

"The place has been shut. We've all been fired." She answered, unhappily.

"those rumours were true?" I said. I was dreading that this may have happened. It was harder to find a job now as so many people had come to Birmingham since the war, including myself.

"I guess so. We're all waiting here to see if anyone will turn up and give us some answers." She said, crossing her arms.

I picked at the skin on my lip. I hadn't thought about what to do it id lost my job, It was something I hoped would never happen. The day had felt warm as I left this morning, but a sudden chill had grown in the air. I rocked on the heels of my feet.

"I don't think I'll wait. I best get back then. Tell me if anyone turns up." I said to Amber. She nodded at me and smiled sympathetically.

I began my walk home. My mind swirled with thoughts. What would I do? What if I couldn't find another job? It was all too much. My thoughts were interrupted when I walked past the garrison. I looked at its foggy windows and the warm lights shining inside. The muffled chatter inside brought a comfort to me. Grace would be there. I decided to go in seeing as I had no work now. When I usually visited her, it was mostly empty - with the odd drunk. I opened the doors and I was greeted with a stuffy warmth that smelt of beer and people. I walked inside and noticed Grace, she smiled at me.

"Aren't you supposed to be at work?" She asked as she wiped down the counter.

I sat on one of the stools and tapped my fingers on the wood. "It's shut down."

She paused and looked at me.

"We've all lost our jobs." I say quietly.

"I'm sorry to hear that." She paused. "Are there any other jobs you could get?"

"I'm not sure - I doubt it. All the works been going since more people have come. Is there anywhere you know that's hiring?" I said. She passed me a small glass of whisky.

"Have this, it's on the house." She said.

"Thank you." I said as she smiled at me reassuringly.

"I don't know any places that are hiring, but you could always work here? It's not that bad of a job and it pays well." She said as she continued to clean the counter again.

"Could I? Do you think Harry would mind?" I asked hopefully.

"I don't think he'd mind at all. In fact we could use the help. Want me to ask him now, Em?" She said, putting her cleaning cloth away.

"Could you?" I asked.

She nodded at me and disappeared behind the bar. I took a sip of my whisky. I felt hopeful. It had only been a few hours - and it that time I'd lost my job and somehow i was about to get another. All thanks to Grace. She was a good friend to me and I don't know how I'd repay her. I tucked some of my hair behind my ears and I listened to the chatter that flowed around me. It was comforting.