⁺₊ ☼ We Can't Be Friends ☼ ⁺₊

April 16th, 2024

Kai 🫧

I'm woken up by Ash shaking me. "Kailani Nevaeh Maxwell! Wake Up!" I hear from her.

I sit up and she snaps to wake me up more. "Ashton Xiomara Thatcher" I say to her with my eyes still closed. I knew something was up because she only pulled out my full name when she was mad or excited. "We're going out tonight to celebrate our little NYC trip!" She says excited.

"We did that last night. That's why I'm still so tired." I say before yawning. "Well your good friend Caitlin invited us so obvi I said yes!" She said slightly jumping on the couch.

I cock an eyebrow at her when Cait's name pops up. "When were you talking to Caitlin?" I question as her face changes to a light shade of pink.

"Oh we were just texting and stuff after last night. Who do you think helped bring you back in your state?" She laughed at her remark as I rolled my eyes. "And just so you know she asked for my number." She says defensively.

"Interesting. I thought it was one of my teammates but ok." I reply before standing up to stretch. "Anyways who else is gonna be there" I ask as I look at my phone to check the time. It was about 9:30. "Obviously us, then Caitlin, and her Iowa friends." She thought for a minute before continuing. "Cameron too and of course Kate and then oh yeah and one of Kate's friends is coming too I think."

My eyes widen at the list of names. Obviously I was cool with everyone but one person. It made sense since I knew Caitlin was also leaving to head back to Iowa City tomorrow but I was still somewhat surprised. Also I didn't think they'd brought anyone else who wasn't at the draft so I was slightly confused at who the mystery person was.

Ashton knew most of what happened between me and Kate but since they didn't know each other well she couldn't have a true issue with her. She definitely sympathized with me because of how it made me feel but she didn't want to make things weird between her and the other Iowa girls. I didn't expect her to be mad at Kate since she'd only talked to her a few times but I still had a weird feeling in my gut.

"Oh cool." I reply to her as I text my team groupchat back. Obviously after the draft I had a lot of people messaging me and I knew it would take a while to respond.

"I know you and Kate aren't the best of friends but the groups pretty well sized so y'all should be okay." She gave me a small smile before getting off the couch herself and moving to the kitchen to plug up her apple watch and phone.

"Cait said to be there by 11ish so I wanted to give some time to get ready since it's about a 20 minute drive from here plus traffic."

"Ok I'm gonna go freshen up some since I showered this morning. Luckily Im the worst over packer so I have extra clothes!" I say as she laughs and we walk into our shared bedroom.

I did a silver eye look to match the shoes I was wearing and finished the look with a slick back ponytail. I went to the closet in our room and grabbed my outfit.

I decided on a dress I had brought and paired it with a bag I'd splurged on the day before the draft. I put on my heels and some of my favorite jewelry.

 I put on my heels and some of my favorite jewelry