Chapter III: The Half-breed Sorceress

Altus Adaleiah Dreyford was renowned as the most beautiful woman in the entire kingdom of Denatoria. She was a unique being. The only individual in the realm to possess both Netherian and Denatorian heritage. Her formidable congenital powers were inherited from her Netherian lineage.

The Netherians, a race inhabiting the dense and lush forests of western Mysquetonia, are born with inherent magical abilities. They are easily recognized by their sharp, pointed ears, agility, and sky-blue eyes.

In contrast, Denatoria serves as the central or principal kingdom of the world, despite being the second race created. Known for its advanced infrastructure and technology, Denatoria's inhabitants are the tallest in the realm, reaching up to seven feet and six inches. They have pale skin adorned with inherent tattoo marks and their eyes are either green or brown. Most Denatorians have ash-grey hair and possess unparalleled physical strength, which originates from the blue diamond shield within their hearts. However, unlike the Netherians, they lack magical abilities.

Among the Denatorians, the Altus are distinguished by their blue blood and are recognized immediately due to their unblemished skin, not a single tattoo mark on their body and superior strength compared to ordinary Denatorians. Adaleiah inherited several Denatorian traits, including her height of six feet and eight inches—taller than the tallest Netherian, who stands at six feet—her fair and rosy complexion, and the physical strength of an ordinary Denatorian. She is considered the most powerful individual in future Denatoria, possessing both Netherian and Denatorian powers.

According to the kingdom's tales, Adaleiah was a lost child discovered in the forest at the border between Netheria and Denatoria. King Magnar (father of Aurik) found and took her in while resting with his army after a battle against bandits and rebellious Denatorians. When Adaleiah was first brought to the palace, speculation arose about her true origins. Rumors circulated that she might be the king's child with a Netherian, and some believed she was an Altus due to her unblemished skin and her dissimilarity to the typical Netherian color. Various theories spread throughout the kingdom for years, but the palace remained silent on the matter, which remains unresolved to this day. Adaleiah was raised and accepted as a genuine Altus.

When King Magnar first witnessed Adaleiah's magical abilities—such as moving objects with her mind and disappearing in the blink of an eye—he immediately brought her to Sathra Griades Elmrick (father of Queen Rowanda), the kingdom's Archmage. Sathra Griades was the most knowledgeable Denatorian, having spent over seventy years researching and mastering how a Denatorian could harness magical power. Denatorians who practiced magic, or students of Griades, were known as Circe, while Sathra meant "grandmaster." Circe wielded their power through incantations, powerful minerals or objects, and intense concentration. Sathra's only child, Queen Rowanda Elmrick Dreyford, was his first student and now ranked second in power after him as High Sorceress of the kingdom.

At seven years old, Adaleiah was enrolled in Sathra Griades' Academy of Magic by King Magnar. She excelled above all her peers. By her tenth year, she discovered a new ability: the power to foresee the future. According to Sathra Griades' historical records, such power was extraordinarily rare, with only one individual possessing it every five generations. Since then, many of her visions had come true.

*****

"Aurik, do release me at once!" Adaleiah struggled against Aurik's strength, unable to free herself from his embrace.

"Calm down. Do you want me to kiss you?" Aurik teased, playfully puckering his lips near Adaleiah's.

"What on earth?! Your humor has grown tiresome!" Adaleiah yelled, shaking her head. "Do not compel me to resort to my powers against you."

"I know you can't hurt me. You love me, don't you?"

Adaleiah closed her eyes, enveloping herself in a blue aura. When she opened her eyes, a powerful surge of energy blasted Aurik against the wall. The force of the impact caused him to lose consciousness as his head struck the stone wall.

"Aurik!!" Adaleiah cried out in distress. "I did not intend for this! It is your fault." she rushed over and gently placed the prince's head on her lap. "Aurik, wake up," she said, tapping his cheek. Panic stricken, she shook his body. "What am I going to do?" Tears welled up in her eyes as she faced the reality of her actions.