Ch 5: Ruthless Life

"If I am an angel, paint me with black wings"

Aadrika's POV

The sun is setting down. We already had a long journey when the car stopped. What the hell is this? Our car stopped in front of a... shop. Pet shop. But with humans inside the cages. Are they going to treat us like animals? As we took steps and made our way inside, I found human pets. Some tied up, some screaming things like 'let me out' or 'I hadn't done anything wrong', some simply hiding themselves in the back of their cage, not wanting to draw attention of the 'Ruthless vampires'. My head turned to where I heard footsteps against the old creaking wooden floor. A man, in 30s (must be 300) made his way to the vampire who brought us here.

"Good evening sir" The shop owner smiled. The other vamp reciprocated with only a nod only. Is the one who brought us here is someone superior?. "There are still many cages left. Just shove them to any of them." He turned his face to look at the bunch of humans before setting his eyes on me. "Sir, I think we should keep her in the special cages, somewhere, where every vampire can see her. She looks... valuable. And her scent, mhmm." The shop owner pointed at me. A shiver ran down my spine as I felt him eyeing my legs.

"Is that so?" I heard the deep voice of the vampire behind me. Of course, he is vampire, hence, definitely handsome but at the last, he is a monster too. "If that is true, I will take care of her myself, you go, put the others in cages." He smirked at me. All I wanted to do is to run away, which is impossible without death chasing me.

The vampire interwined his hands with me. I was about to pull away my hand when he held my hand more tightly. He bent to my level before whispering in my ear. "Co-operate with me babygirl when I am being sweet to you. Do you want me to handover you to the shop owner hmm?" He pointed towards where the shop owner looked over to where the shop owner was shoving everyone inside cages harshly. By pulling their hairs or holding their neck in tight death grip. Those whoever are not cooperating were getting slaps and kicks. shuddered in fear. I felt the vampire patting my head. "That's my good girl."

He put me inside a cage which was more spacious than other and had more necessities too. Like I had my own tattered duvet and a water bottle. Must be 'special' facilities for 'special pets'. I mentally scoffed.

Soon the night fell when vampires flooded in the shop to check out on the new arrivals, while the humans slept in fear. I covered my body with the duvet and turned my back to the front face of cage. The shopkeeper didn't gave us the food as we are yet to be registered and not officially a pet yet.

First night sleeping in a metal cage feels... numb.

Tears pooled in my eyes. Where are my mom and dad? Are they safe? Did they got the same options? If yes, which they choose? I hope they had chosen the first one. Is Aayush safe? The thought of him made me cry even more. I silently cried myself to sleep. I think I should have chosen option 1 too. At least I would have been with him right now.

***<3***

Next morning, I woke up with a gasp when I felt cold water seeping through my clothes. I looked down, I was drenched. No more good morning kisses I guess. I internally sighed. I am still conflicted about the option I chose. It's not like that I can change anything now but still.

"I don't have time for you useless creatures today so don't ruin my mood that it already is. You know that will earn you a free ticket for punishment. Right?" The shopkeeper said and put the three big carton boxes filled with stale bread.

What the hell!? Now he is making us fight each other just for... food? That's a basic necessity!!

"Ruthless vampires." I muttered under my breath before making my way out of the cage as soon as they unlocked our cages. I tried to make way through the crowd to get the food but... other girls were far older and stronger than me. I tried a few more times but... failed. Moreover, an impatient girl, pushed me so hard that my arm got scratched from the nearby metal cage's edge. Should I go to the shopkeeper? I can predict the probability of my life span growing shorter as I thought about it... let's give it a try.

"Umm... sir? I actually didn't get any food. Do you have anymore food?" The shopkeeper eyed me from head to toe.

"Is this looking like a human restaurant to you!?" He yelled at me. "Just go back to your fucking cage and wait till lunch! Damn it! If you weren't the most rare blood type, I would have sucked you dry till now." I flinched at his words before scurrying away. I got in my cage and the click indicating that the cage is locked now. Cage. No. This is my home. I chuckled bitterly.

"Don't be upset. They don't behave like that everyday. He must be pissed at something or worried about new shipment. Most of the days, they give food in each and every cage themselves." My head snapped towards the owner of these words. On my right, she was in a special cage too. Like me. She was clearly older than me. She was more paler than me. Her blonde hairs were reaching till her shoulder and her eyes... were green. So mesmerizing.

"How you know?" I asked to which she replied with a chuckle.

"I am here from last two weeks. Imported from Spain." She gave me a soft smile. "Hi. I am Celeste. At least that's my real name." She extended her hand for a handshake from between the cage bars which I gladly accepted. "Here." She passed a stale bread to me. "I picked two but, I am not that much hungry. Eat it before that bastard punish us for sharing food." I smiled and gladly took the bread from her hands.

"Thank you so much. I am Aadrika." I nibbled on the stale bread slowly. Yuck. This not even edible. I still managed to swallow it down. "By the way, earlier... what you meant by real name?" I asked confusingly.

"Oh you must not be knowing. Right? They will be giving us new names next week, some vampire kind names, when we will be registered as the official pets. Right now, no one can buy us as we aren't officially a pet here." I nodded in understanding. #MyLifeMyRulesButOnlyUnderCage.

"Umm... Celeste? Can we be friends? I-I mean I just needed s-someone whom I can talk when I feel l-lonely." I asked shyly. "L-Like a companion."

"I thought we already were friends when I shared my food with you." She pouted. I chuckled. She is really that 'someone' who can keep me sane in this place.

At least I have someone by my side. Someone... but not Aayush. Ugh. Again my chest is aching.

Will I ever be able to see him again?

A/N

My dear readers, I am sorry for posting this chapter after a long break. I was actually busy with my studies. I hope you all  will understand. Please do vote and comment.