Chapter 2

Christine Daaè looked in the mirror and smiled slightly as she marveled at the masterpiece that was her hair. It shone like yellow silk in the sun, and was gracefully piled up on top of her delicate head, finished off with a small white flower behind her ear. "Meg, you are a wonder!" She cried, turning to face her dark headed friend who still wore her ballet rehearsal garments. The girl did a small curtsy then grinned. "I live to serve Madame Vicomte." She teased, suddenly standing tall and holding her head high in mockery.

But Christine found no humour in the joke. Instead she stiffened and jerked her head around, searching for something she knew she wouldn't find. Her child like blue eyes widened in slight paranoia, making her look like a frightened doe. "Meg, do not say such things so loud!" Christine hissed, settling herself back down. "Besides, I am not marrying Raoul. We are only friends." She whispered, trying to soften her tone as to not anger the ballerina.

Meg rolled her eyes, immune to Christine's sudden mood changes. She was used to them by now. Ever since she had disappeared for that first week...she had never been the same. Meg knew next to nothing as to what was going on in Christine's head, and feared she never would.

"Well, hurry up and get dressed or you'll be late to meet your friend." Meg teased once again, gathering the dress in her hands. Once the corset was laced up, and the ruffles smoothed, the dress looked quite beautiful on Christine, though she felt like she was not herself. It was a regal colored blue, contrasting against her already pale skin, and making her look like a lovely little ghost. The corset was obnoxiously tight, but Meg insisted that she looked slimer than even her. Which at the moment was true. The hourglass figure had been achieved beyond words. "Oh, Christine! You look stunning!" Meg breathed, envy glistening in her emerald eyes. Christine ignored the last fact and smiled. "You would look so much lovlier in this dress." She said softly before putting on her cloak and heading to lunch with her old childhood friend.

As she walked down the street, she felt as if she were being watched by an unseen pair of eyes. The girl shivered and pulled her cloak over her head, which made her feel slightly more secure.

She filled her mind with thoughts of Raoul to keep her distracted by the morbid feeling she was having. The boy seemed infatuated with her! On the night she first performed, he barged into her dressing room, insisting that he must see Christine Daaè. Of course she recognized him when he first entered, but acted as if she had long forgotten that sweet face. In fear that her angel would...

But now she could open up to Raoul a little more, and perhaps see where things would lead. She doubted that they would ever get married or have bundles of little blue eyed children, though the thought made her smile.

The little Cafe that Raoul had asked to meet her in was cute and very well hidden from the bustling world of Paris. It did not, however, seem a place suitable for a Vicomte. Its walls were painted a pale yellow and little paintings of farmers graced the walls. She immediately loved it.

A hand waved at her from the back of the shop, bringing a smile to her lips. "Raoul!" She giggled, rushing forward to greet him. The young man was tanner from his trip, and his eyes were brighter with adventure. He took her hand in his and kissed it gently, bring a faint blush to the girl's cheeks. "Christine Daaè." He breathed. "Did you forget your red scarf at home?"

She laughed as he led her to their table, a private little patio location that was filled with sunlight and the sounds of birds singing. "It is so peaceful here! How ever did you find this quaint little place?" She asked, glancing around the room. He smiled, gazing at her lovely features. She blushed under his gaze and took a sip of her tea.

"How was your trip?" She asked sweetly, her eyes low and transfixed on her tea. Raoul fidgeted with his hands and swallowed. "Oh, well...it was fun for a while. Being on a real adventure and all. But after some time, you wish to be with the people you love again." He said softly, looking up at her through his long lashes. She nodded, distracted by the presence she felt again. "I brought you back something." He said, reaching into a leather satchel under his chair. She tried to control her eyes as they darted around the cafe. "Oh I love muffins...." She muttered, not understanding a word he said. Raoul looked at her curiously as he dug out a little brown package and set it before her.