By the Willow Tree. [Emily Gilmore]

One-shot Contains: Forbidden Romance, Jealousy, Fluff, Bisexuality.

Content Warnings: Homophobia, Misogyny, Internalized Homophobia, Sexism.

It was the Summer of 1964, when you kissed the woman of your dreams for the first time.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . .

When you first started College, you resented the fact that you were attending Smith College. Your older brother Darren was able to go to Yale on a partial scholarship. But you couldn't attend due to the fact that Yale did not accept women to attend. Which you absolutely hated, but of course you stayed quiet about your reservations. As it wasn't proper for a lady like yourself to try and fight the system.

Everything about your life had been planned since the day you were born. You were to be respectful to a proper woman, who would become a housewife. Pleasing your husband, raising his children while running the household, and giving the man you married all of the credit. Very early on in life, you resented that fact; you were envious of your brothers, who got all of the attention and praise for their own accomplishments. While you were only ever told to be quiet and praised for your carefully curated appearance. Due to this fact, you had a strained relationship with your family. At a certain point, they gave up on trying to be as controlling as they had been. Opting to just ignore you, trying to forget they had a daughter they only saw as a disappointment.

..............

The day you moved into your dorm for the first time as a Freashman, your life changed forever. In multiple ways, of course, there was the newfound freedom and adulthood. In addition, you met her.

Emily Mandel was an extremely put-together and beautiful woman. She was respectful and intelligent. But pretty much the complete opposite of you, in the social aspect. Although you did love her sense of humor, you were frustrated by her views on your own rights.

The two of you had gotten so close to each other, sharing so much about your lives. Your hopes and dreams, your frustrations, and your fears. There was an unspoken love that the both of you had for one another. One that made you crave her attention was when she gently pushed your hair behind your ears. The feeling of her fingers against your skin or her lips against your forehead when you were upset. You adored it all, even if she did frustrate you at times. You adored the way she smiles and the way she scowls when she doesn't get her way. The way that your sweet Emmy smiles shyly when you call her affectionate names.

Your forced proximity with her made you again shut off your views. Well, not shut the off, but make/you bite your tongue when they are brought up. Emily wanted to get married young and be the perfect housewife. That part didn't bother you so much, much as the fact she was so unbothered about the lack of rights women have as a whole.

     One night she was on the phone with another friend of hers. Chatting about a man she had just met when she went to a party at Yale. One you had opted out of because you in no way wanted to run into your brother. As she went on about how much she was smitten for the man, you couldn't help but feel something in the center of your chest.

        Hearing her talk about a random man named "Richard" only made you feel negativity. You wanted her happy; you knew you wanted her happy, thats for sure. But you didn't want her with some rdr guy, especially one you haven't gotten the chance to see and make sure he was a good man. It didn't matter where he went to school or who his family was. He better treat her right, otherwise you'd have lots of things to say.